cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could Dynatrace be downgraded?

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi All,

I would like to downgrade Dynatrace from 7.0 back to 6.3. Is that possible?

Br,

Chris

12 REPLIES 12

thorsten_roth
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Why do you want to downgrade to 6.3? Is there any specific reason?

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

It's possible, yes but definitely not recommended. Especially since the end of full support for 6.3 is about a month away:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

Essentially you would be following the same steps as an upgrade but going the opposite direction and there would be added compatibility considerations since the newer agent version won't be able to communicate with older collectors and such so these would need to be restarted or reinstalled depending on which bootstrap version they are on.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

Is there a particular reason you are looking to downgrade two versions? Is there some issue - I would definitely say the better option is to try to resolve this as opposed to downgrading to something that you shortly won't be getting full support for.

James

Adding to James's excellent answer: There will be database considerations that will for sure require support's intervention on. Many times the upgrade will update database schemas and add fields that did not exist previously. 6.3 may not be able to intereact with this updated schema.

Dear James, Christopher,

please note that running the opposite steps of the upgrade guide will not work. If you already had the new version running, most configuration files will be written with the new version and format 7.0, which the old version will not recognize.

So it will be expected that you will lose all your configuration data. Strongly advise against this.

Regards,

Thomas

Thank you for the info, excellent to know!

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi James,

The reason is that we had an expiry date for the UEM voucher and cannot upgrade the license to 7.0 due to that.

Br,

Chris

Have you contacted licensing or your sales rep? They may be able to help to avoid the downgrade.

Please open a support ticket and mention the ticket number here for reference. It should be possible to upgrade the UEM voucher, if not, support can create a new voucher for 7.0 for you.

thomas_klambaue
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

As mention in another comment, please try to solve the issue first with support, this should be easier, safer and saves you from doing the upgrade again. Plus if we know about it we can fix it for you and other users!

Having said that, the only way to downgrade is to restore backups, from PWH, session storage and most importantly your migration archives. Or if you still have the old installation directories, to start those up again.

Obviously this means losing all changes and data since the upgrade.

Regards,

Thomas

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi,

How can restore the PWH back to 6.3, should i click on "Rebuild" button because am no longer storing the data to that database

snapshot.jpg

Br,

Chris

Details can be found here:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT63/Performance+Warehouse

Important

When you rebuild the schema, all Performance Warehouse data is lost.

However, I am still confused why you roll back to 6.3?! Did you already create a support ticket to resolve the UEM voucher problem? This should be an easy one and you don't have the pain to switch back to an older version.

Thorsten

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi Thorsten,

This is the ticket number SUPLIC-17375. The reason is that the UEM voucher had expired and was for 1yr. Currently the license i have is for the older version(6.3) yet i had upgrade it to 7.0.

Br,

Chris