cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Count difference when drilling down to User Action

sponnada2
Organizer

Hello,

I am having a hard time understanding why this is occurring.
When I drill down to the User Actions for my User Action – Business Transaction
I would expect the numbers to match. I have performed the ‘Full Analysis’
option when drilling down and I somehow get more User Actions than what are
evaluated in the source BT.

Here
is a screen shot of this behavior. This is causing issues in my analysis and
gives doubt to the validity of the numbers

3 REPLIES 3

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

I don't see any images attached.

James

sponnada2
Organizer

please find the attachment below

count.png

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

I haven't used the business transaction hotspots dashlet much but looking at it I see a similar behavior where it can be slightly higher than the count of user actions and I think one of two things (or a combination) explains this:

1. The business transactions hotspots dashlet is pulling data from the performance warehouse (database) as opposed to session storage, whereas the user actions dashlet pulls data from sessions. You can tell because the hotspots dashlet loads so much quicker - so different sources could mean the times are not exactly the same even though the dashboard has one timeframe.
  2. The 'count' column in the hotspots dashlet is not user action count but rather the count of the times that business transaction occurred which is not quite the same thing. I can think of scenarios where user actions could have be in the same BT multiple times (for instance if you split on a value that occurred multiple times each value could have it's own occurrence).

In short though, the two views aren't meant to be compared. Something like BT hotspots is more of analysis view as opposed pulling from longer term data (hence from the PW) as opposed to user actions which has to analyze the live session to pull the results.

James