cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created a custom sensor for a particular method but its no longer found!

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi All,

I instrumented Dynatrace agent in a pure java application. I have a particular service to monitor in that application, to achieve that, i requested a method from application owners to create custom sensor for it so that its monitored. I successfully created it and monitored it well. Later i experienced connection intermittency between Collector and the DT server. i unexpectedly did not see again that method monitored! I paused a question to the community for this and suggested to restart the application/JVM. I processed the change(since this is PRODUCTION) and restarted the application but nothing changed(still method is not found).

The application owner claim that the method is still there yet when i try to search for it, its not found!!

What could be the problem??

Please advise

Br

Chris

9 REPLIES 9

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Chris,

Did you use the Class Browser to find the desired method under the same agents group?

Select the option 'use classes of all connected agents' and then try again.

IMPORTANT: When you enable the use classes of all connected agents option, a refresh may take several minutes as the data is requested from all connected AppMon Collectors.

Regards,

Babar

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi Babar,

I tried that one already but was not found!

snapshot.jpg

Hello Chris,

The behavior is a bit weird but just ask those developers to show that method in their own application architecture because you already tried the available options in the Dynatrace.

Once again make sure you are picking the exact agents group.

Regards,

Babar

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi Babar,

Whats confusing is that before, it was there, but later after it disappeared whereas,they are claiming to not have changed anything!

This was the method,

"queryForList(dbEvent.getSqlID(),
dbEvent.getFirstParamter(), dbEvent)
"

under this class "SqlAsyncClient"

but now i find it under other classes other than that!! But when i tend to tell them about so,they insist on!

Hello Chris,

You should check one more time with them and I am also agree with @James K. that might be there was a change but you were not informed.

Regards,

Babar

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Take a look in the agents overview and select one of the agents you expect to see this sensor on. In the bottom window that is populated you can select the "Deployed Sensors" tab which will show you what sensors are deployed on that agent. Doing this you can search for this method to make sure it is still there and deployed.

James

Hi James,

I think you do that after having created a custom sensor for that,right? Yes i checked and never found it!!

Yeah that's tricky. I don't want to rule out on an issue on the AppMon side but it definitely seems like there was a code change in some way.

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi All,

I have created custom sensors for all packages in the application but still cannot see luck!