cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new measure and new business transaction

mzamora
Organizer

Hello,

I want to create a new Business Transaction called "Web Services by Client IP".

In doing so, I am attempting to create a new measure in order to split all my web services by client IP.

Based on the web request detail attached, which measure template should I use to pull out the Client IP from the web request detail?

7 REPLIES 7

mzamora
Organizer

mzamora
Organizer

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Before I tell you how this is done I want you to make sure that creating a BT that splits on a measure that can have thousands of different split values can lead to problems with the performance warehouse. In this case you want to check the box "Supress storage in Performance Warehouse" as you probably dont want to chart, e.g: the number of requests per IP but you rather want to use it for diagnostics and troubleshooting purposes.

The other thing I want to tell you as the also have a feature called UEM (User Experience Management). It starts your PurePath in the Browser and automatically detects and splits Visitors by IP and Geographic location.

Now finally here is your anwers (smile)

You need a "Web Request - Client IP" Measure. This will return the Client-IP for each PurePath that has this information captured. You can then use this in a BT as splitting measure

Andi

mzamora
Organizer

Thanks for the tips Andreas.

I also know about UEM's ability to detect and split by IP but I need to do this for specific web service calls that do not show up as part of a visit's page actions.

Thank you!

amit_kumar7
Newcomer

Thanks Andreas. Do we still have issue,  If we check the box "Suppress storage in Performance Warehouse" and set restrictions to top 50 transactions?

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

If you check the "Suppress storage" no measures will be written to the performance warehouse - so - you cant put it on a chart. But - the good news is that all PurePaths are still tagged in case they belong to that BT and you can look at the Business Transaction Dashlet to analyze the PurePaths. In this case you can even go much higher than Top 50 splittings because the measures are not written into the performance warehouse anyway.

In this scenario Business Transactoins are great for diagnostics where you open the BT DAshlet for a smaller timeframe and start analyzing the results from there

Hope this helps

amit_kumar7
Newcomer

Yeah, that make sense. 

But in our case, we wanted to show it in the chart in our dashboard. To avoid the measure explosion, we wanted to restrict it to top 50 transactions(just to be on the same side) but wanted to verify that it will not cause any issues if we have "Store results in Performance warehouse" is checked with that restriction?

Thank You!