cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Time measure. What it measures?

dbusquets
Organizer

Hi!

I'm trying to understand what exactly "DB Time" measures.

I've already know its description: "Database time measure represents the total time that has been spent by the database connection component and the database management system for database execution calls."

But I don't know what exactly are they supposed to DB connection and management system.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dani

2 REPLIES 2

franz_soengen
Inactive

Hi Dani,

I don't know if I understand your question correctly. Is is about what the difference is between the DB Connection Component and the DB Management System (DBMS)?

A DBMS is the software that executes your SQL Queries and either returns your requested data or makes the changes that you tell it to make. Examples would be a Oracle Database, DB2 or MySQL.

The "DB Connection Component" is the part of your application that manages queries to your DBMS. That may include connection pooling or management of prepared statements and so on. Examples would be JDBC in Java or ADO.NET in .NET or ODBC as a general standard.

That means that the "DB Time" metric not only measures the time that a Query took on your Database but also the whole process of establishing the connection that's done inside your application.

best regards
Franz

Perfectly explained Franz, thank you!