cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Deactivate Java agent not licence relevant

christian_weige
Newcomer

Hi together

I hope you can help me. We currently implement AppMon 6.5 with Java agents in the JBoss environment. We use for online deplyoment blue / green approach with active and passive branches. The agents are, of course, primarily relevant to the active branch.

Therefore, it would be useful to disable the agents without uninstalling them from the monitored hosts in the AppMon server itself or deactivate with a simple statement on the target system, and thus not making them license-relavant

I have unfortunately found no answer to the question - does anyone has a hint for me, if this is possible?

Thanks to all

Christian

6 REPLIES 6

arihant_polavar
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Christian,

You can essentially disable the agents by commenting out the agent path argument in the startup script. That way, the agent won't connect to the server (and thus not use licenses) but you don't have to uninstall the agent files. For enabling them again, you can simply uncomment the line and restart your application process.

Hope that helps,

Ari

shane_korbel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Adding to Ari's excellent answer: you can find out more about agent licensing here and in this video.

christian_weige
Newcomer

Thank you for your help. Yes, of course, commenting is a solution but does not prevent the requirement of restart. I am looking for a simple way to deaktive licences w/o reconfiger the target hosts - so like a checkbox in AppMon server tab "Licence"

host 1 - ON
host 2 - ON
host 3 - OFF
host 4 - OFF

Host 1 and 2 are active in AppMon monitoring and licence relevant, but not host 3 and 4. The agents of 3 and 4 maybe send still data to the server but the server "deactive" the access to the data.

Maybe my request becomes a status of requirement 😉

Thanks to all

Christian

Are all of these agents under the same agent group? If they are not, you might be able to use the License Assignments feature under the Server settings since you 'reserve' licenses for specific agent groups. If they are part of the same agent group, I'm not really sure how you can do this.

It is not currently possible in the product to provide this functionality. Once an agent establishes a connection and is instrumented it will consume a license until it is disconnected (process goes offline).

christian_weige
Newcomer

Thanks to all and to Ari P for the idea using different agent groups. That will be our approach. Maybe it will work with assignment of licences to server groups