cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop AppMon Clients - Automatic Upgrade capability once the server is upgraded to 6.5

asahoo1
Organizer

Hello,

We are going to upgrade to AppMon 6.5 next month. Most of our users have AppMon 6.3 desktop clients and some users who have not logged in for months have older versions (6.2, 6.0).

Can someone let us know if the 6.3 client will automatically upgrade to 6.5 when we upgrade the Dynatrace server to 6.5 or do we need to get 6.5 client installed on each user's workstation prior to the upgrade? If 6.3 client can automatically upgrade, what about the older clients - 6.2, 6.0 etc?

Thanks,

Abhaya

3 REPLIES 3

ddoshi1
Participant

I observed that a pop-up appears in the client stating server is upgraded do you want to update the client. If selected yes then it updates the client.

Not sure how far it works for much older version if not used for sometime where multiple upgrades to server is done. Mostly should upgrade automatically if client is opened and connected to server.

Regards,

Darshan

claude_fink
Guide

Hi,

I got the update information always on fixpack installations like Darshan wrote.

For an "upgrade" to a major version, we always installed new clients as it is explained in the documentation. But I never tested this with an older client. Give it a try on a test system (if you have one). I will do the upgrade to 6.5 on our production system in April (test center already done) and will then stay with one client onto 6.3 to see if the upgrade is triggered automatically like updates or not.

Regards,

Claude

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Abhaya,

AppMon 32bit Client is no longer supported with AppMon 6.5, so only 64bit Clients for Windows and *NIX.

Secondly, we recently migrated our environment from 6.2 to 6.3 and I can make sure that you will have to install the supported Dynatrace Client to connect to the server.

The best alternate is to use the WebStart Client instead of installing the rich clients for all the users, so once you will be done with your upgrade then send the URL to everybody to access the Dynatrace Server.

Client Migration

If you have any special settings in the AppMon Clients, such as proxy settings, compare the dtclient.ini in <DT_HOME_OLD> and <DT_HOME_NEW>, as well as:

• Windows: C:\Users\<username>\.dynaTrace\Dynatrace 6.5 \
  • *NIX: ~/.dynaTrace/Dynatrace 6.5 /

Carry over the properties that still apply.

Regards,

Babar