cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Direct server migration on Linux

Enrico_F
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi all,

Would it be possible to move an existing server (7.1) from one Linux host to another (i.e. RHEL6 to RHEL7, same amount of cores and memory) by simply copying over all files using i.e. rsync? If this is not possible/recommended, is it at least possible to do this for the stored sessions?

Or - if using the migration tool is absolutely mandatory for this task - is there a way to directly pipe the migration tool output (e.g. the *.dtma migration archive) over ssh instead of writing it to the local disk?

Background: In our case there is no common filesystem or storage between the hosts therefore the only way to move the whole data would be to create a local migration archive using the migration tool and transfer the file using ssh (scp/rsync). The problem is: There is currently not enough local storage available on the source host for creating an intermediate migration archive.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Enrico

1 REPLY 1

peter_karlhuber
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work. Some things to consider:

- deactivate your license before moving, activate again afterwards (it's locked to the hostname)

- if you use them, you have to adapt some paths in the init.d scripts after moving (if the folder names are different)

- make sure that the session storage folder is also still correctly configured after moving

- pwh needs to be reachable from the new host and collectors and clients need to be able to reach the new host.