cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Disaster Recovery for dynatrace

wuhaowh
Guide

Hello,

Our customer asked us to setup a DR for dynatrace,since I haven't got any instruction for the DR,so I post our plan as below,pls someone can have a look and give advise?

1. Dynatrace server and collectors(located in current data center,we call it DC) are replicated to another data certer (let's call it DR),hostname and ip will keep the same

2.Performance warehouse MySQL server also replicated from sql01 to sql02

3.to do the DR drill,we plan to disconnect the PW ,then shutdown dynatrace service on server/collectors, Then boot the replicated VMs in DR, start the dynatrace service,connect PW to sql02

As the license is machine locked,so that means we need another license for the DR server ?Even though that the whole VM are replicated and

hostname and ip will keep the same

5 REPLIES 5

rob_vollum
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Hao,

Obviously there are many details, but it sounds like you have read some of the threads on the forum about DR and HA. At a high level your plan sounds great - you have replication of all of the storage happening, and you are replicating the PW database as well. As you note, the license is machine-locked, so you need to work with Dynatrace licensing to get a new one for your DR site.

I'm assuming that you are handling some of the other details, such as re-pointing your DNS so that the VIPs you have for the server and collectors move seamlessly over from the DC to the DR. Doing that will let things fail over nicely.

It also sounds like you are setting up your environment for an "all or nothing" fail, where DC goes offline entirely and everything fails over to the DR site. There are other strategies (such as HA at the same data center, using shared SAN storage), but that's different from what you're asking about.

HTH,

Rob

Thx Rob,

I will asking my customer to get a new
license for the DR site. For the VIPs,to be honest I am not familiar
with network,so keep the hostname and ip in DR site with DC is not
enough,We still need to re-pointing DNS?

Further more,as the
whole server is replicated ,so i think we should exclude the license
file to be sync,do you know which files we should exclude from
replicate?

Hi Hao,

You can't have two servers on the network with the same IP address. DNS is the normal way to do server name resolution - your customer's network person will know this. So for example, when DC is active, your server "myDtServer" would resolve to IP address 192.168.10.230, and when the DR site is active you would change the DNS so that "myDtServer" would resolve to IP address 10.0.0.156 (for example).

And yes, I believe you are fine replicating all files except the license. If you can't find a way to exclude that replication, then consider moving the physical license files to some space outside of the dynatrace product install directory, and replace the license file with a symbolic link to the local file. That way when you replicate all the files, you'll replicate the symlink which will point to the current local license file.

Rob

wei_ding
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi All,

This may sound irrelevant, but does dynaTrace support MySQL as Performance Warehouse?

Thanks

Wei

No, it does not. Per the release notes, the following are supported:

• Oracle 10g/11g/12c
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014
  • IBM DB2 Version 9.7/9.8/10.1/10.5
  • PostgreSQL 9.1/9.2/9.3/9.4/9.5

Rob