cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Does create incident with rest alert trigger the action of the incident?

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi

We are trying to find a way to test customers MOM which using DynaTrace AppMon 6.5.3 incidents as one of its sources.

We have tried the rest alert to set a incident which works fine but the action ,send email, associated with the incident didn't work.

Does any one know if is it a bug or feature?

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel
11 REPLIES 11

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Yos

I forwarded this to the engineering team to get some feedback on the expected behavior!

Andi

Hi Andi

Already opened a ticket (SUPDT-27530) on this issue

An I found that also create custom incident did not fire the action

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I just had a quick chat with the engineering team. I am sure you will hear similar things from our support team.

Actions are currently not triggered when you create an Incident via REST. As Incidents are typically triggered by Measures that violated a Condition the Action Plugins would normally rely on these metric violations to actually perform an action. If you create an Incident via REST you are not delivery any measures or condition violations. This could obviously result in very interesting side-effects in plugins that assume that an Incident is always triggered based on Measures that violated your condition.

Having that in mind I think the current behavior is "as expected". If you want this to change we should talk about a Product Idea (RFE) and clearly define what data to be passed to Action Plugins when the Incident is triggered via REST

Andi

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi Andi

I cant see any other good reason to create an incident except then using it action ... so I will move this issue to the RFE forum.

Still I found that if you are creating an open incident (without end time) and you confirm it from the client , the end action is fired so for us for now its good to check at least the end part ....

Thanks for your help

Yos

It makes sense. Not sure why you would create an Incident via REST and didn't want an action to trigger. The only possible use case for this I can imagine is someone looking at the Incidents Console like a sort of Event Console. Otherwise, it makes sens that you'd want to trigger the Incident Action, either for notification or simply automation.

Hi Cesar,

The reason was to test the GE plugin we attached to the incident and to see that it operate OK and send the right data to a script that forward the incident to BMC PNET

Yos

Did you end up creating an RFE for this?

Hi Cesar,

nope. didn't open an RFE for that

yos

cesar_quintana1
Inactive

This is unfortunate, though the reason why it behaves the way it does in its current state makes sense. Still, I've found that creating an Incident with a built-in end-time definition via REST will also not trigger the End action, and THAT seems very unfortunate.

I was told that creating an incident by rest-service is the way to go for testing out the actions we defined for a certain incident.
Eg. behaviour on GC or whatever exceptional behaviour. It is very difficult to generate certain situations to enforce an occurence of the incident. Just waiting untill the situation happens a first time is not acceptabel.
Dissapointed to read that this will not be the case.

Hi Monique

If you want to test your plugin implementation the easiest way should be to use the "Test" feature that we provide in the Plugin Development section of Dynatrace. You find this under Settings -> Server -> Plugins -> Plugin Development. have you tried that?