cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Generic Execution Plugin work when called with a Business Transaction?

terry_mishler
Newcomer

We have been using the Generic Application plugin to execute a script in Linux from the Appmon Server from an Incident Rule that is built from a Measure without any issues. Everything is working fine and the script executes without issues and passes in the parameters just fine.

However we built a Business transaction and setup an incident Rule for that Business transaction and as an action told it to execute the exact same script that is working fine. When the incident rule fires the GE plugin the GE plugin is getting a Java Null pointer Exception. Here are the messages from the GE Plugin Log:

com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.extendedexecutor.GenericExecutionPlugin.action.0.0.log

2018-05-08 13:25:15 SEVERE [GenericExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.extendedexecutor.GenericExecutionPlugin.action] Previous message was repeated 1 times.
2018-05-08 13:25:15 SEVERE [GenericExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.extendedexecutor.GenericExecutionPlugin.action] Execute method: exception is 'java.lang.NullPointerException exception occurred. Message = 'null'; Stacktrace is '''
2018-05-08 13:25:16 WARNING [UserPluginManager@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.extendedexecutor.GenericExecutionPlugin.action] Previous message was repeated 1 times.
2018-05-08 13:25:16 WARNING [UserPluginManager@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugin.extendedexecutor.GenericExecutionPlugin.action] java.lang.NullPointerException - null
java.lang.NullPointerException

The only difference between the executions that are working and those that are not is that the ones that are working are from a measure instead of from a business transaction.

So I guess the ultimate question is:

Does using and Incident Rule to execute the Generic Plugin work when it is from a Business transaction instead of just a measure?

2 REPLIES 2

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

An incident is an incident so what that incident is based off does not matter. So to answer your question, no that shouldn't matter. What you base an incident off of in all cases is still just a measure - in your case it's a measure created from a business transaction configuration but it's still just a measure.

I've seen others report similar issues with the plugin so I imagine there is some other aspect of your situation that in the code of the plugin leads to that null pointer exception.

James

I agree with you James it essentially is just a measure, but that is really the only difference that I can see. The problem is that the Plugin is not supported by DynaTrace so I can't open a support ticket to get someone to look at it. Not sure what to do next.