cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate option for storing incidents in PWH

Enrico_F
Pro

I noticed that all our custom incident rules have two options for enabling storage of incidents in the PWH with the exact same name. Here's an example with the options highlighted in red:

Has anybody else noticed this?

If so, why is this and does it matter if only one or the other is enabled?

Interestingly only one such checkbox exists for any out-of-the-box incident rule. Example:

We're using AppMon 6.5.15.1019

Enrico

PS: I just realized this only happens when in debug mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F9). Still, the question about the impact of having only one option checked remains.

7 REPLIES 7

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Enrico,

By default all the custom measures and incidents are store in the PWH without asking to save in the PWH option e.g. as for BT.

Therefore, in the DEBUG mode we see this option to uncheck if we don't want to save and just doing some testing of that custom measures without overwhelming the PWH, so if we don't store in the PWH thewe will have measures data from the Live session maximum an hour which stores in the RAM.

Regards,

Babar

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand what the option is for but the reason for having it appear *twice* in debug mode is escaping me... Wouldn't it be enough to have it appear once like in the case of OOTB incident rules?

Kind regards
Enrico

Hello Enrico,

As per my understanding, the difference in between OOTB and Custom incidents that OOTB incidents are not storing by default in the PWH, whereas the Custom created incidents silently saving in the PWH to make sure that we have historical data and also can use for the charting purpose over the time. I believe someone else can more elaborate this.

Below is the exact description:

Incidents are stored and updated in the Performance Warehouse by default. This guarantees a complete history of all incidents for the same time frame as charting data is available. Disable this option if an incident should trigger actions but no history is required. All configured actions are still performed. Closed incidents may get deleted at any time and no later than during the next restart of the dynaTrace Server.

Regards,

Babar

peter_karlhuber
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Enrico,

this is a known issue that's been fixed in 7.0. Since it's only visible when the debug mode is switched on, we've chosen not to backport the fix. Cheers,

Peter

It means my all so called "logical" thoughts were illogical 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thanks - that's what I suspected 🙂

Anyway, can you confirm it doesn't matter which checkbox is marked i.e. if at least one is marked then that would mean that incidents are stored in the PWH?

The bottom checkbox that's only visible in debug mode has no effect as far as I can tell from looking at the change set.

Please only use the one that's visible in 'normal' mode, the top one.

The internal number for this ticket was JLT-185164 (for reference).