cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

During migration dynatrace services for different version using same process ID

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Hi,

when we are during our migration from 6.1 to 6.2 and found very unusual thing like services for both version are associated with each other with same process ID.

So Made few changes in my deployment plan:

- stopped the dynatrace-6.1 services.

- created .dtma file using migration tool.

- Installed dynatrace-6.2

- migrated all setting using dt migration tool.

- Now when i started the services for dynaTrace-6.2, it started the services for 6.1 with same process ID.
- since we did this migraiton in testing environment, it was pretty easy for us to take decision to delete the old version which was causing the issue and we were unable to access the dynatrace server.

- once deleted 6.1 we restarted the service in 6.2 and it works perfectly fine.

I knew deleting the existing version is not a solution here and we can't take big risk like this in production.

Can any1 please tell me what will be the right process? or since we have taken backup using migration tool then deleting would be fine?

Regards,

Suraj Gupta

4 REPLIES 4

Cody_Kachelski
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Suraj,

Were the services started by restarting the host server? Is it possible there were startup scripts for 6.1 automatically configured in etc/init.d?

The archive helps to retain key configuration settings, and I have seen the old version deleted, it depends on your preference, though I would recommend to ensure the new version is working properly first.

-Cody

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Hi Cody,

Thanks for your reply, no the services were never added in autostart script.

We use to restart services by using this command ./dynaTraceServer start/stop.

Yes, I agree with you deleting old version without ensuring that latest version is working fine will always be a big risk.

Q - Do both 6.1 and 6.2 version services reserve the same process ID or different?

Regards,

Suraj Gupta

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

can anyone please help me on this?

Regards,

Suraj Gupta

Hi. Have you found a solution to your problem? To your last question. I dont think we "reserve" any process ID. I dont even think this is possible to tell the OS that you want to have a certain process ID - unless I misunderstand what ProcessID you are talking about