cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatracae AppMon Installation

rrawat
Guide

We are using Dynatrace version 6.2 in Via-west.Now we are planning to have Dynatrace version 6.5 in (Different host) Armor Cloud.

We have temporary license key for 6.5.

So we have the following question.

• Do we have a separate Download for Cloud hosts.
  • How we can transfer system profile from Dynatrace Version 6.2 in via-west to Version 6.5 in armor. .
  • About agents and collector how i will install them.

Please provide your valuable suggestion.

16 REPLIES 16

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

To clarify - it sounds like you're referring to AppMon (6.5) which is separate from what is now known as Dynatrace (formerly Ruxit).

Regarding your questions, there is no separate download for cloud hosts - none of the components should care if they are in cloud hosts so long as they can all communicate and have the appropriate hardware sizing. Just make sure your collectors are close to your agents as always.

It sounds like you'll be completely switching servers in this process so I would recommend following the migration steps in the guide https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/Upgrade+and+Migration+Guide where you create an archive of your server configuration via the migration guide and can apply it to a new or different server instance.

Installing the collectors and agents will be no different than in a standard installation, do you have any particular questions about install?

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

James

d_circhirillo
Participant

Hello,

thank you for your email.

I'm out of office, with limited access to my inbox, I'll back on 15th May.

rrawat
Guide

I have a concern--

we have Dynatrace version 6.2 in via -west.We have succesfully installed Dynatrace version 6.5 in armor.So how we can migrate data .From 6.2 to 6.5 .Also its first time i am performing installion stuff.And do have any link where i can found how to use migration tool.

That first link in my answer is a good starting point - here are the details for the migration tool: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/APMDOC/Migration+Tool+Details

You'll be running one command on the old instance to create an archive of the configuration, then running another command on the new host to apply that archive to the new installation.

rrawat
Guide

Thanks James ,

• Can we copy data from Dynatrace 6.2 to Dynatrace 6.5.Do we will face any issue.
  • Can we copy System profile as well .
  • Our concern is as we moved our application in cloud how agent will get deploy and fetch results from that application that are live.
  • We also need to backback PWH database Dynatrace from 6.2 to 6.5.

Direct migration from 6.2 to 6.5 is supported so you shouldn't need to make any changes. The migration is copying everything from the original server so this will include all of your system profiles - it will be as if the new server is identical to the old one.

Can you explain more what is moving, I don't understand your third point, is everything moving (application/agents, collectors, and server)? The agents are running within the application so they are just sending data from the application that is being caught by instrumentation, they just need to be close to and able to communicate with a collector. The fact that is in a remote data center shouldn't matter, it will be following the same guidelines of a standard installation.

For the PW you should take a backup of the database in case there are any issues but when the upgraded server connects to it it will go through and make any updates to the schema that are necessary.

James

rrawat
Guide

Yes every thing is moving .We were in viawest before now we are going for cloud.

so we are also moving every tools in cloud as well in our case dynatrace .

Application which we were onitoring is also moved to cloud.

So in that case how agents will connect to application server which is in cloud and where is collector in that case .as well.

Yes every thing is moving .We were in viawest before now we are going for cloud.

so we are also moving every tools in cloud as well in our case dynatrace .

So in that case how agents will connect to application server which is in cloud and where is collector in that case .as well.

And what about the

The agents are 'inside' of the applications so they do not need explicit connections to the application server. They're bytecode instrumentation of the process not an additional service or anything (unless we're talking about host monitoring agents). In the same way since the agents/application is in the cloud your collectors will need to be in the same place (as close as possible) to avoid issues from higher latency.

James

but right now dynatrace has its own dedicated server and collector is also their.But agents need to be deploy in remote machine.

I'm not clear on what the questions is, the agents are installed in the application servers as part of the process and they communicate back to the server via the collectors. The agents can be anywhere and need to have a collector installed near them that they can send their data to before the collector sends it back to the server. There can be collectors embedded in the server but generally you want the collector to have it's own host and this is basically essential when the agents are far from the server.

This is the architecture: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/Architecture

It may help if you make a quick sketch of what you're describing.

We were using Dynatrace 6.2 in via-west and now we have installed
Dynatrace version 6.5 in cloud (Armor) our application webser also moved to cloud. So we asked license team to
provide temp license for 1 month so we can verfiy our configuration and
then permanetly go for that.

We have installed dynatrace(full msi
pakage)and activated the license but the webserver are in remote machine
we have 2 web server having mutiple application which need to track..

Facing issue while configuration.Web server agent did not .Did all steps .

We have dedicated server for dynatrace and collector is al there.But agents are on remote machine.We installed the full msi for 6.5.Not only appMon.

Is there a way to check collector and agents are on same lan .But we are in cloud how we can find that?

I'm not at all familiar with those particular cloud providers, I imagine you would need to communicate with them to determine the layout of the servers they are hosting for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by installing not only appmon, the msi installs the appmon components.

You mention an issue with the web server agent? What is the issue?

Hi,

We have a dedicated server for Dynatrace 6.5 with has collector as well.

We have 2 webserver which are in remote location.So we installed agents on both server using remote agent installation.

Both server have mutltiple sites which need to monitor we did all the
steps necessary for webserver agent configuration .But still not able to
connet webserver agent.

Below attachment contains logs file of-

1.Collector log -Collector is in the same location where Dynatrace server is same host. Collector.0.0.log [^Collector.0.0.log.lck] Collector.0.0.log CollectorLauncher_1044.0.log

2.Agent log of only 1 webserver--->As our webserver are in remote location so installed agents there.

dt_IIS_Web01_HSS_Application_bootstrap_6508.0.log dt_dtwsagent.exe_7640.0.log .

3.Note --As we had installed the full msi download 6.5 dynatrace.So
agents also started as window service.SO we stopped it and tried but
also not able to configure profile.(Dynatrce ersion 6.5).

I think you've noted this but the agent is unable to connect to the collector:

2017-05-05 16:22:29 [00000460] info    [native] Trying to connect to Collector for up to 5 seconds
2017-05-05 16:22:39 [00000460] info [native] Error connecting: connect()/apr_socket_connect(), 730060, Connection timed out
2017-05-05 16:22:39 [00000460] severe [native] Unable to connect to Server/Collector. Last error was: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (730060)

2017-05-05 16:22:39 [00000460] warning [native] Unable to register with Server/Collector hss-prod-dt01:9998

Until this is resolved you won't see that agent connected to the server. You'll need to verify that this port :9998 on the collector can be reached by the agent. Also as noted it sounds like the agent and collector are in two separate location which is likely to lead to latency issues even if the connection can be made.

Hi,

We have a dedicated server for Dynatrace 6.5 with has collector as well.

We have 2 webserver which are in remote location.So we installed agents on both server using remote agent installation.

Both server have mutltiple sites which need to monitor we did all the
steps necessary for webserver agent configuration .But still not able to
connet webserver agent.

Below attachment contains logs file of-

1.Collector log -Collector is in the same location where Dynatrace server is same host. Collector.0.0.log [^Collector.0.0.log.lck] Collector.0.0.log CollectorLauncher_1044.0.log

2.Agent log of only 1 webserver--->As our webserver are in remote location so installed agents there.

dt_IIS_Web01_HSS_Application_bootstrap_6508.0.log dt_dtwsagent.exe_7640.0.log .

3.Note --As we had installed the full msi download 6.5 dynatrace.So
agents also started as window service.SO we stopped it and tried but
also not able to configure profile.(Dynatrce ersion 6.5).

Also raised the support ticket -33314

rrawat
Guide

we have Application in Cloud which we have to Monitor using Dynatrace 6.5.

Before that application Application was in viawest with Dynatrace 6.2.

How we will export system profile and if we export does it will work.

Or do i need to create new profile.