cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Dynatrace 6.5 configure Apache Tomcat Monitoring

rrai
Newcomer

After adding in eclipse run configuration >>>> -Dagentpath:"C:\Program Files\Dynatrace\Dynatrace 6.5\agent\lib64\dtagent.dll"=name=DT_Monitoring,server=<HOSTNAME>:9998

When I start server I do not see the collector information getting captured.

Jan 02, 2017 10:59:34 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log
INFO: Command line argument: -Dagentpath:C:\Program Files\Dynatrace\Dynatrace 6.5\agent\lib64\dtagent.dll=name=DT_Monitoring,server=HOSTNAME:9998
Jan 02, 2017 10:59:34 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log

Also How do I configure DYnatrace 6.5 CLient to monitor my local java EE application running on Tomcat.

7 REPLIES 7

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Dear Rakesh,

If I am not wrong you changed the <HOSTNAME> with you DynaTrace Server/Collector IP Address.

Please also check the below documentation to instrument your application?

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

There are two different methods for the Tomcat 7.x or Later and Tomcat 6.x

Regards,

Babar

Yes <HOSTNAME> is replaced by hostname of my laptop.

I referred to the exact same documentation.

Please note, the agent has been added in the eclipse Run Configurations and then the apache tomcat server 8.0 is started from Eclipse itself.

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Just to add one more thing here. If you try to analyze Tomcat apps please check out my youtube tutorial on analyzing Tomcat Performance Issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfmVM1BC5qQ&index=36&list=PLqt2rd0eew1bmDn54E2_M2uvbhm_WxY_6

rrai
Newcomer

Added the

SET CATALINA_OPTS=-agentpath:"C:\Program Files\Dynatrace\Dynatrace 6.5\agent\lib64\dtagent.dll"=name=DT_Monitoring,server=HOSTNAME:9998

WHere HOSTNAME is the hostname taken from cmd line or IP address.

Server started seemlessly..

Now another question is how to monitor the same in Dynatrace client? What steps to take to get the Dynatrace Client to realize that the new server has started and needs to be monitored.

I am using Dynatrace Client 6.5

Hello Rakesh,

You can open the agents overview dashlet from the cockpit to check the event count, purepaths etc... to make sure data is collecting from your sever.

I would like to recommend you to watch the below video which will be really helpful to understand all the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ycuNlYUl9E

Let me know if you need further help.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Rakesh

I believe the two of us had a quick webex session yesterday. I hope that session helped and got you to move forward

Andi

Yes, it was indeed a very helpful session. Monitoring was the default window which I should have selected and then do an action in the app, wait for Dynatrace Transaction flow to load and then proceed with purepaths and other options in the Drill Down option.

Thanks a lot, it was indeed time saving and finally I was able to get to the root cause analysis.