cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace Collector instance in V6.5

rsubramanian
Guide

In windows, we are upgrading collector from V6.1 to V6.5. Already 2 services running with the names practice1 and practice2 in V6.1. I installed V6.5 and created 2 instances practice3 and practice4. How can I migrate the data from practice1/practice2 to practice3/practice4 respectively? When I run dtmigration migrateinstances collectorinstances, the collector instances are shown with the same existing name.

For ex:

there are two instances practice1 and practice2 under home directory C:\Program Files\dynaTrace\Dynatrace 6.1. Now I am creating Archive

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -migration -sourceDTHome "C:\Program Files\dynaTrace\Dynatrace 6.1" -targetArchiveDir practice

Now migrating the practice/<archive>.dtma file

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -migration -sourceArchive practice\<archive>.dtma -targetDTHome "C:\Program Files\dynatrace\Dynatrace 6.5" -migrateInstances CollectorInstances

Now under new home directory, I see practice1 and practice2 instances.

The service name should be unique in windows, so I create new instances practice3 and practice4 in Dynatrace 6.5 home directory through service install command. How can I import profiles, sensor directories from practice1/practice2 in practice3/practice4 respectively. I am good to copy only profiles, sensor plugins from one directory to another?

2 REPLIES 2

david_n
Inactive

Hello Ram,

The DT Migration file moves your instances to the new version with the assumption that you will get rid of your old collector instances, that is why they migrate them with the same name. If you would like to keep your old collectors you can use the migration tool and then rename the new instances to practice 3 and 4. This would minimize the chances of something being misconfigured. You would have to change the instance name in the collector config.ini file as well I believe.

Thanks,

David Nicholls

thomas_klambaue
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ram,

there is no need to rename the instances. The Windows service names for the collectors instances will stay unique even when you install the new 6.5 collector instances, because they have the version in the service name:

* dynaTrace Collector 6.1.0 (practice1)

* dynaTrace Collector 6.1.0 (practice2)

* dynaTrace Collector 6.5 (practice1)

* dynaTrace Collector 6.5 (practice2)

I suggest to:

* Run the 6.5 collector installer

* Migrate the data with the migration tool (eg with "collectorInstances")

* Execute in DT_HOME_65\dtcollector -instance practice1 -service install

* Execute in DT_HOME_65\dtcollector -instance practice2 -service install

And you should be fine - see also the other general information in the upgrade guide.

The migration tool will copy all required files (profiles, etc) - do no copy the sensors. You do not want the 6.1 version of the sensors in your 6.5 collector installation - let the migration tool take care of everything.

Best regards,

Thomas