cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace Real User Monitoring for applications with Classic Agents

dravisaanka
Guide

Hi All,

We have classic agents (Dynatrace AppMon 7.1) installed in all our Web/Java/Node.js Servers. Currently we use UEM to monitor User Actions. We are planning to use Dynatrace Real User Monitoring in place of UEM. I found from the documentation that the RUM can be used without OneAgent by injecting Javascript injection.

Wanted to know if it can be used if the web servers/java are in classic agents and we are not planning to move to new version right now. [https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/rum-injection#how-does-javascript-injection-work]

Please let me know if this is possible, if yes please point to any available documentation.

Thanks,

Dev E

8 REPLIES 8

Hello, yes you can place JavaScript js library into your webpage manually and than you will receive actions in Dynatrace. But in such case there are few things. First, your Dynatrace server has to be public because in agentless rum monitoring data are send directly to server (or via ActiveGate). You will also have only informations about user actions without purepaths connected. It is possible to connect Dynatrace and Appmon to continue analysis in second tool after starting in first. This doesn’t work (as I know) for agentless rum on application monitored by Appmon classic agents.

Link to documentation:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/deploy-dynatrace/other-deployment-options/set-up-agentless-re...

Sebastian

When you say Dynatrace Server has to be public, do you mean to say Dynatrace AppMon or Dynatrace SaaS?

I was talking about dynatrace, not appmon. Because RUM data are sent to Dynatrace server. If you have SaaS edition (not managed) you are good to go. It's public available.

Sebastian

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Devi, RUM can be used without OneAgent, but this involves injecting the RUM JS agent manually as described on the doc page you referenced. But if you're using RUM agent, then you must use Dynatrace. If you want to still use UEM agent then you need to continue to use AppMon.

dravisaanka
Guide

Thanks for the replies guys. We are planning to use Dynatrace in other applications in our environment but not in Ecom. In this case can we use RUM JS Agent in Ecom servers? (which already has classic appmon agents)? Will this setup work?

I've answered your question. You can setup agentless rum monitoring for hosts that are monitored by appmon (with uem disabled). But:

• You will not have server side data connected to user sessions in Dynatrace
  • You have to open traffic for your dynatrace server or cluster activegate because data from user browser will be send directly to server.

Sebastian

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Devi, If this still seems confusing, perhaps it would make more sense to talk to your Dynatrace Sales team and make sure there's clear understanding of your situation and options.

dravisaanka
Guide

Thank you guys.