cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exec ms and Elapsed ms

mapawar
Newcomer

Hi,

can you please help me understand how the total exec time in ms is reached to this value 14210.03.

I can see the exec ms is reducing as we move along the call stack downward but the 7740 elapsed time is bit confusing here.

3 REPLIES 3

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Manish,

Exec total [ms] is the total execution time of that node of the PurePath tree and all its child nodes. Elapsed time [ms] you can think of it as a stopwatch, when the PurePath is detected at entry level (web request in your case) we start the stopwatch (thus, the elapsed time is 0). Then the next node shows what the stopwatch would show at that point, and so on until the very last node.

It is normal for the Exec Total to reduce as you go along, because, as you go along, each node has less and less child nodes. If we look at the first 4 nodes of the PurePath:

• Web Request is entry node for PurePath, PurePath started, elapsed time is 0; total exec is 14210.13 as that's how long it took to execute everything below
  • Web request is passed via synchronous invocation
  • Synchronous path is created to the Servlet handling the call
  • Servlet call for your web request is made; it took 7740.37 ms until now (spent on the web server); and it will take 6439.77 ms more for this servlet call to complete

Does this make sense?

Regards,

Radu

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

You can also right click on the column title bar, and choose to add more columns. One of the options to add is "Exec [ms]" - this represents the execution time of that particular node, not including its child nodes.

mapawar
Newcomer

Yes that make sense. Thanks for explaining.
One last question for a single purepath, after the entry point at the second step my elapsed time is 7700 but the overall exec time of that second step is around 6700 (similar to what I had in the screenshot earlier) , to me it seems to be 1000 ms being missed. Is that not the case here?.

Should we expect the numbers to be add up and match the exact ms at the very beginning ?