cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Extend ADO.NET Sensor with new classes

mohammed_bencha
Newcomer

Hello,

We're monitoring a .NET application (using AppMon 6.5 & UEM) which connect to Oracle Database, we were able to see all the transaction from user to database (SQL statements).

The problem we have with database side is that we can't see the Database name or Pool name or any information regarding the connection with the database under purepath tree, so AppMon show us only Database on transaction flow without the icon of Oracle Database and SQL statements on purepath tree and Database dashlet.

After a first investigation, my conclusion is that ADO.NET sensor pack is able to detect connections with many databases (MSSQL, Oracle and MySQL) based on classes configured on the sensor. But on our monitored application, there's another class used : System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection

I was thinking to add this class to ADO.NET sensor pack but it's read only, I don't know if there's a way to do that or to create a specific sensor for this rule.

So, any idea that may help : I need to be able to see Database and Pool names.

For the record, I deployed a database agent, I was able to monitor the Oracle database, but I can't merge the data provided by the agent with the system profile monitoring the same database, because there's no data regarding connection information of the Oracle database on the system profile.

Thanks & regards

3 REPLIES 3

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Mohammed,

You can add the additional method sensors in the client debug mode.

Press Ctrl + Shift + F9 to enter in the debug mode.

When Dynatrace is unable to identify the database type, it will show up as a generic "Database". The reason this can happen is if the application uses a database provider that is not standard, it hasn't been implemented on our code.

For the standard JDBC and ADO.NET it should show up correctly.

Check the following link.

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/168096/hi-...

Regards,

Babar

Great advise Babar. Just one thing to remember: Changing the default out-of-the-box Sensor Packs is possible - HOWEVER - it also means a change of our core product deployment / configuration. The reason why it is read only by default and only changeable in debug mode is because we do not want users to change this behavior.

if you ever run into an issue and open a support ticket make sure to let our colleagues know that you made changes to these sensors.

Also - when upgrading to a newer dynatrace version these changes might NOT be upgraded!

To your specific use case: I doubt that changing the sensor will solve your problem. Detectding the actual connection pool is something that is done by our introspection code that we instrument into your ADO.NET classes. if you use an unsupported connection pool our introspection code will still NOT be able to detect it. In your case I suggest to open a support ticket and check if there is a similiar use case where this connection pool was not detected.

Eventually you may end up creating an RFE so that our product team can build out-of-the-box support for your connection pool into future dynatrace releases

Andi

mohammed_bencha
Newcomer

Thanks Babar, I was able to edit the sensor but still not working, I'll follow Andi's advice and open a case.

Thanks again for both of you 😉