cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Email plugin steps

Hi All,

I require an assistance in Configuring Extended Email plugin. I went through the documentation but i am unable to setup. Want to know which are the options i need to add. Please see the screenshot. Also do we need to configure Body Header and Body. I used the example as in document but its not working. Please let me know any changes required for the circled fields in red.

Do we need to mention user credentials in Dynatrace Server user Field?

Do we need to mention Body Header, Body?

email-plugin-1.jpg

email-plugin.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The server name and server port for the Dynatrace server need to be filled in with your server name and the port you can access the REST interface on - the port looks right if you haven't changed it from default. I use the actual server name rather than localhost but that might work as well.

I expect that your problem is yes you do need to fill in the credentials for the user, the plugin uses the REST interface to work which requires the address and port I refer to above and a user that has permissions to use it and read the data.

You do not need to fill in the body, subject, etc... those have default values if you leave them blank.

I would look at the plugin logs which you can find in the System Information dashlet to troubleshoot configuration:

James

ravi_kumar11
Mentor

Hi Chiranjit,

Regarding your EEP configuration all the fields are good, except the field .

dynatrace user password --> Mention the admin password here

Let me take an example to customize the alert email body.

In the above example as per my client requirement I have customized the subject line and as well the body footer to add some steps to be taken care by the operations team.

1) Subject line:

Before we jump into the config, I want you to verify whether under the incident rule EEP has been added. Keep in mind to deselect the Smart Alerting unless if you need it.

Coming to the subject line I have mentioned the custom text followed with the ${Variable_Name}

For example --> [Dynatrace AppMon] is custom text you can use your own - Chiranjit text

and ${VIOLATED_MEASURE_NAME} will pick the measure from the incident which I have configured to display in the subject line --> refer the email for the same, in this way you can add the respective variables to the subject and custom text to make the meaningful data for customers

2) Body Footer

You can use the below code and modify accordingly.

Sample Syntax :

<table>

<tr><td> Your Text Here.....</td><td>

</table?

My XML code:

<table>

<tr> <td></td></tr>

<tr> <td style="color: #ffffff; background-color: #ff0000">
Steps to be taken care:
</td> </tr>

<tr>

<td>
1) Check the application is it working or not. Check the java melody tool for hung threads.</td>
</tr>

<tr>

<td>
2) Send communication to check the server status to Middleware@dynatrace.com and the DB status to IMHCLGlobalITMSSQLDBServices@dynatrace.com

</td>

</tr>

</table>

Code in EEP:

Output:

3) Body Header

I believe, if you follow the same as like for body footer you can bring the desired results you are looking for

HTH,

Ravi Kumar

Thanks a lot Ravi and James..

1 question here, main thing i want to show in email is the Severity. Now if the use Severity variable ${SEVERITY} then it will always take either Severe or Warning or Informational.

I want to show the Severity based on Threshold set in Severe and Warning.

Hi Chiranjit,

The variable ${SEVERITY} is mean by the action severity which we define in the Actions tab --> Action Severity.

It's not the Incident Severity which we define in the Incident configuration mentioned below. This is meant to show in the Incident Dashboard what type it is...

The threshold type is severe in the below snip, so the measure validates for the server threshold and triggers an alert based on the severe threshold value.

Coming to your query if you want to configure an alert which wants to show the severity based on the threshold follow this

1) Threshold type as --> severe

2) Action Severity as --> Severe

So that, the variable will pick it as Severe based on the Action Severity which you have setup and display the same in the email alert.

Note: Though whatever the threshold setup you use in the Measure like Severe/Warning --> email alert will display it as Action Severity field which you have selected.

In the below test incident, I have configured the variable as ${SEVERITY} in the subject of EEP, though it breached the severe threshold from measure it still displayed as the Infromational in the subject line as well in the body of the email by picking the value from the Action Severity.

HTH,

Ravi Kumar

Thanks again Ravi..

Yeah i already tried this option but the requriement is like email should show based on Upper Warning or upper Severe not with Action Severity. Because if the threshold is crossing only warning and we have kept Informational the used won't be understanding at first sight whether it is Severe or Warning alert.

In short, the header should change based on the Threshold value(Warning or Severe)

Hi Chiranjit,

If you have set measure threshold as warning or severe it will consider only the warning state though you have configured the severe threshold - For example warning 75 % and severe 80%, if the measure value is 81 it will treat it as warning.

So, my suggestion would be you need to create two incidents one for warning and Action Severity as Warning or information based on your requirement and other Incident rule for Severe and Set Action Severity as Severe.

HTH,

Ravi Kumar