cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended email plugin not working in 7.1 with suffix to subject

mmuthyal
Inactive

Hi, we are able to get emails for Incidents already in place for all the individual agents in an application, but would like to try the extended email plugin to suffix the Agent Group name in Subject.

but we are unable to achieve that. please help with your suggestions or any workarounds.

Is it mandatory to have "Email Notification" enabled along with Extended email plugin ?

any specific variable need to be used to suffix "AGENT GROUP" name ?

10 REPLIES 10

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

No you don't need to have the standard email action in place. You can use any of the variables described here.

The format for using them is:

${AGENT_GROUP_NAME}

Note that these variables only work for the extended email action plugin - not the standard one.

James

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I'm using the same variable for extended plugin but still not receiving any emails. when I use only "Extend email Plugin"

when I try with both default email plugin & extended email plugin, I'm receiving emails for default one but not for extended plugin.

If extended email plugin alone is added in actions, I see the "Send notification upon Incident Rule Violation" disabled in basic Actions configuration, This gets enabled only when default email action is selected.

please suggest anything that I can check for and make this work for my requirement. Thank you again.

They are completely separate - the checkbox and email fields under the 'basic configuration' still only apply to the out of the box email notification. None of those settings apply to the extended email action plugin.

For the extended email action plugin you have to configure a number of aspects of your server - if you can post your configurations maybe it will be obvious which fields are missing or possibly incorrect. You can also look in the system information dashlet under the server for the logs created for the extended email action plugin (I'd start by just looking at the configuration though).

due to security constraints, I cannot upload the configuration screenshot to this discussion. let me know if I can share any specific info for your help?

Don't need the values, I'd just check that these fields at minimum are configured.

Thank you for sharing, I have compared and I have all these values provided. minor changes I observed in mine were below. Rest all were present in my setup. please let me know. Thanks.!

1.Incident Rule Name & Identify string rows doesn't exist in my Plugin

2. SMTP Host string starts smtpxfer.XXX.XXX.XXX

The incident rule name field doesn't exist at all? Maybe it's an older version of the plugin (though it hasn't been changed in quite some time).

Your smtp hostname of course can be unique. Maybe take a look at the logs to see what if it doesn't like something.

Got the below...

2018-09-21 15:42:07 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name
2018-09-21 15:42:07 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setup method: setConfiguration method returned message 'setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name'
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] Previous message was repeated 1 times.
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setup method: setConfiguration method returned message 'setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name'
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] Previous message was repeated 1 times.
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name
2018-09-21 15:42:57 UTC SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setup method: setConfiguration method returned message 'setConfiguration method: the Incident Rule Name is null or empty. Please set plugin's mandatory parameter Incident Rule Name'

is this related to the above mentioned "Incident Rule Name" missing ?
do you think the plugin version is different or any mismatch ? I'm using 7.1.2 client, How can I check the version of plugin but I guess the enhanced email plugin option last release was long back (2017-01-16 Release 0.10.13) ? pls confirm..

It sounds like it. It's very odd that that field would be completely missing. You can see the version you have by looking in the server settings -> plugins. The page here includes the most recent release: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DL/Generic+Execution+Plugin