cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External API call based on argument value

martin1
Inactive

Hi,

Is there a way to create External API call definition based on the method argument value.

For example HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() says there is an argument value which is the URL being called. As this service was experiencing perf issues and it is not monitored by Dynatrace, I would like to mark this as external API call.

However I do not understand how/ if possible to mark external API call by the value of the argument.

Since GetResponse() is very generic .NET method call with no argument value filtering I would end up with all its calls being marked as external API call, is that correct?

What is odd is that GetReponse() does not have any arguments by method definition still Dynatrace provides an argument value in Details form (please see attached).

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

alejandro_arena
Dynatracer
Dynatracer

Hi Martin,

To my knowledge we can't define an external call based on a specific argument value.

To your question: "Since GetResponse() is very generic .NET method call with no argument value filtering I would end up with all its calls being marked as external API call, is that correct?"

This is correct, the calls that fall under the GetResponse() method will be classified as the external call, keeping in mind the parent class as well (if there's a GetResponse() from a different class name that is not defined as an external call it will not be classified as the external call).

hth

Alejandro

martin1
Inactive

Hi Alejandro,

I am still struggling to understand how to track external APIs based on the call stack to GetResponse()?

That's why I thought measuring the argument value would be a good approach if possible.

Also why GetResponse() is reported from Dynatrace to have an argument where it actually does not have any argument by method definition?

Thanks,

Martin