cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Extract Geographic Location from session attribute

rene_lindner
Participant

I have an application where I cannot use IP addresses for location mapping because it is private network with dynamic DHCP IP address configuration (i.e. 10.10.10.10 is assigned to location TownA and the next day it is assigned to TownB).

We have session attributes in the application which clearly identify the location of the user. So is there a way to use those session attributes for mapping geographic locations and use them in the map dashlets for further reporting.

In AppMon 7 I was not able to find a way to do that.

4 REPLIES 4

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Rene,

Check out "Servlets" (Java) and "ASP.NET" (.NET) sensor pack properties for capturing session attributes. Open your System Profile, select an Agent Group, click Sensor Configuration, click Properties next to Servlets or ASP.NET. Then in the bottom half of the window you have the option to capture extra information such as session attributes.

Best regards,

Radu

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The only way to configure customize or determine geographical locations for use in UEM data and on the world map are via the IP address which you can set within the server settings under Geographical Locations so you won't be able to use other data from session attributes for anything like the map or where visits are tied into.

What you can do is create a business transaction and split by the attribute you want to use and this would let you see a breakdown by location, just not with the ability to display it within the world map.

James

Hi Rene,

Have you tried determining a request header that carries the IP address? If yes, then you can capture the IP address, and then include this request header in Settings > Dyntrace Server > Geographical Location > Click Plus and add the IP with Region mapping.

You can either manually fetch all the locations & IP using the Splitting BT. Then manually lookup each IP against region in spreadsheet. Then either import it as csv or manually add these geo locations.

Also check out the Documentation link1 ,link2 and link3.

Regards, Rajesh

rene_lindner
Participant

Luckyly the OPs team told me that they are using unique subnets für each location. So there is no need to use geo location mapping based on session information. I can stick to already built in features and configure the locations like@Rajesh S. suggested.