I'm at a customer and we've installed the Generic Execution Plugin to send alerts to external Incident Management System called BMC.
run the plugin as an action but we don't see anything written to the
log file. The server log file GenericExecutionPlugin.action.log is empty
(0 KB). The log level setting is set to FINER. When I go to the
installation folder of the plugin and open the log.txt file I can see
that the incidents fired but they were never sent to BMC.
We have 2
problems right now. The pluggin is not creating log messages into the
server log file and the alerts cannot be send to the BMC. In AppMon we
see that the incidents fired but they were never sent to BMC.
The platform is Linux and the Dynatrace 220.127.116.117
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
This isn't an answer to your specific question, but we set this up a while back and ran into a similar issue where it seemed no logs were being created and the plugin wasn't running, and after communicating with the creator we were recommended to open a support case as it turned out to be an issue with the AppMon server itself (overall instability and some performance warehouse connection issues). Some config tweaks and the latest fixpack/update resolved the issue for us. Have you noticed any other issues ongoing at the same time, or maybe a lot of warnings in the logs?
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't open a support
ticket because this plugin is not supported by Dynatrace Support. I
went through the server log files but I don't see anything related to
the GEP plugin. The only message I see is that the plugin was
successfully installed. Do you remember the type of messages you were
seeing back then?
We are running version 5.5.25.
@Eugene T. can you please help me troubleshoot this problem?
That's true, however if you can determine that it is likely not a plugin issue but rather an issue in getting the action to fire on the incident or other server issues you can probably get some assistance.
At the time we didn't get any messages as I don't believe the incident was actually triggering the plugin due to some background work basically overloading the pieces that do the analysis or something like that.
Another idea is to setup the GEP to perform some other very simple task and see if you can get that to work. Then you've separated the plugin complexity from the BMC interface complexity.
Another idea is to modify the GEP to add additional logging. Are you sure you're setting the GEP log level to FINER? Or the dT Server? You need to set the plugin log level to get additional details. You should at least see some lifecycle messages and if you're not seeing that level of INFO logging then something is wrong. Remember that the plugin log files will be created on the machine where the AppMon Collector is located which is running the plugin.
Thanks for the reply Joseph. The GEP log level is set to FINER. The GEP is working now and sending alerts to our BMC Incident Management System. But we still have the issue with the empty GenericExecutionPlugin.action.log which apparently is related to the DT server and not the plugin itself. I am going to have to open a support case and ask the guys for assistance.
In our case the plugin is running as an action on the server. It is not on the collector. We suspect that we have some server issues. We have requested a Dynatrace server restart which might fix the issue.