cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Getting Speed Index, Visually Complete & User Timing Marks Over Time For a Given URL

JGannon
Guide

I want to create a chart or series of charts that shows the following metrics - Speed Index, Visually Complete a custom W3C User Timing metric for ALL VISITS to given page over time. While I can find where to add the timing mark, I cannot find anywhere how to get the speed index not visually complete for a given page that represents all visits. This article says its possible but doesn't indicate the steps for how to do this.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/synthetic/re...

8 REPLIES 8

mathieu_chatte1
Advisor

Hello,

It's not possible to do that with UEM.

To have the speed index, you must use Dynatrace Synthetic to simulate visits which calculate this indicator as most of Web Performance solutions.

In UEM, you have the Apdex to measure the user satisfaction for all visits.

Regards,

Mathieu

JGannon
Guide

Thanks for the info. I guess as a point of clarification, my biggest issue is not being able to measure this for a given page. In the Easy Travel example, I have been able to do this at the app level for all pages but not for an individual page. I believe I am pulling data from RUM.

In the Easy Travel sample dashboard I created, I have been able to get this data for Speed Index, W3c Timing and Visually Complete. (Im assuming this is RUM since it says User Actions. In any event I can get the data for what appears to be from the 'APP' I need this data instead for a page but cannot figure out how to do this.sample-dashboard.png

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello @Joseph G.

For AppMon Spring 2017 and later, the JavaScript agent captures both visually complete and speed index timings. Enable both visually complete and speed index capture for a System Profile by selecting the Visually Complete check box in the System Profile - User Experience settings.

Have a look on the below link for more insight.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/admin...

Speed index is only available for load actions. Visually complete is available for all load actions, but not for AJAX requests, which don't affect the DOM.

Regards,

Babar

JGannon
Guide

I understand this is available and have been able to get this working in the sample dashboard. However, I havent been able create a dashboard to track this on a page level, not within the app. The Easy Travel sample as far as I can tell only allows me to create it in the app.

mathieu_chatte1
Advisor

Hello,

Thanks Babar for this precision. I didn't find this feature in AppMon 😉

So you cannot do this based in a given URL because the calculation is done on an User Action.

You need to find all user actions go to your given URL and try to create a BT filtered on them.

Regards,

Mathieu

JGannon
Guide

Thanks for the info. Do you know how easy is this to do and find all user actions for a given URL. How would I go about doing this? Hopefully this should be something easy to do, as I want to be able to pinpoint issues on a page not just user actions.
Also what is a BT? Sorry I don't know what that means.

BT is a Business Transaction: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/appl...

You can create BT with splitting by a specific URL (to show all user visits/actions from specific URL)

This short document will help you understand BT

bts.pdf