cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Help with User Action BT

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello Community,

I have a BT use case which I can't seem to work out.

I have a Page Actions - Metadata type measure which extracts via css selector the current step of a purchase journey that the user is on.

I would like to show how many users make it to each step of the journey (like a visits funnel) - doable in theory, but not so easy in practice.

Since the metadata measure is bound to user actions, I am forced to use a User Action type BT. Since I'm using a UA BT, I can't use the Visit count measure because it's on a per UA basis so Visit count will equal UA count.

Any ideas how else I can count distinct users/visits split by my metadata measure? Is there any wacky workaround you can think of?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Radu

3 REPLIES 3

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Visits contain user actions and user actions contain visits so I would expect you'd be able to use your measure in a visits based business transaction. How have you determined that using it in a visit based business transaction isn't working? They can be tricky to validate since you must wait until visits meeting the transaction have completed before they will start showing up in the business transaction results so I usually wait at least a few hours after configuring before checking on them.

Unless there is something specific to the metadata measure that would prevent this but that would surprise me.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the answer. It seems I was rather impatient and just had to wait for the visits to timeout. Which seems a bit odd - I was under the impression closing the tab or the browser should immediately send an end of visit marker. Am I wrong here as well?

Best regards,

Radu

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

AFAIK visits will only end in two cases:

1. The activity timeout (default 30 minutes) where no new actions occur
  2. The endVisit() JavaScript is called to explicitly end the visit

Closing the browser wouldn't send that endVisit() call so it will still technically be active - there'd be no way for AppMon to know the browser had closed. I think it would be true that since the visit cookies are only active for the life of the browser if you opened a new one up it would give you a new visit cookie and be a new visit but the previous one would still be considered live until the timeout is reached.

James