cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I want to know how do I create a dashboard with multiple dashlets.

Hi, I want to know how do I create a dashboard with multiple dashlets . wherein each dashlet have measures monitored for multiple hosts.

1. Like one dashlet will have cpu monitoring measure for 5 hosts and

2. other dashlet have memory usage monitoring for 5 hosts.

I have explored some options and created one , however

1. I do not have control on resizing the dashlets to add more dashlets to fit in the same dashboard.

2. I am not getting the option to add dashlet one below the other. Insted it gets added one after the other in a row.

11 REPLIES 11

Alejandro_soto
Inactive

Hi Srinivas,

Multiple dashlets in one dashboard is actually quite simple! Let me show you how:

1. Click on the following icon to create a new dashboard.

2. Click on the icon next to it to add dashlets to it (as many as you want)

3. By default the will be added as tabs in the active dashlet window. To rearrange them any way you want just click the tab and drag until you see it snap where you'd like, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/coQ2ElO.gifv

Some additional tidbits:

• You can change the name of a dashlet by pressing F2 on the active window.
  • To change the header view of all dashlets press CTRL+Shift+H and you'll cycle through the different modes.
  • Double clicking the title of a dashlet will maximize that dashlet to better view it, double click it again to go back.
  • F11 will bring you to full screen mode, useful when displaying on a big screen for other people.

http://i.imgur.com/dDrb42h.gifv

Hope this helps and definitely reach out if you have any other questions!

Best,

Alex.

Hi @Alejandro Soto,

When i create a monitoring Dashboard, I could not add the dashlets one below the other as its seen in the image of Moitoring dashboard. All the dashlet that I add get appended one after the other in a row which squeezes the charts/graphs of other dashlets. How do i add the dashlets one below the other one? and how do i re-size the dashlets in all the 4 directions ? I am attaching one of my dashboard with this problem for your reference.

Hey Srinivas,

You should be able to Grab the header of a Dashlet(hold it for a short period) and move it around. You will see an outline of where it will place and how the dashboard will re-arrange it self accordingly.

It's drag and drop functionality but you will need to hold it for a quick second to activate it. Also if you can't see the header(Example of header for far left dashlet. Chart(with the filter image, then the x)) you can first click the dashlet you want to work with, hit CTRL + H and it will toggle through the different display modes of each of the dashlets.

Hope this helps,

Sanj

Hi Saanjeith, Thanks for the steps. This worked to move my dashlets one below the other.

1. However the graphs get squeezed one below the other to fit the dashboard adjusting browser size instead of getting scrolled down. Is there a setting that I can make to get scroller added ?

2. And I still cant resize the dashlets in 4 directions. Do you know if there is such option to do so?

Adding my current dashboard updated using your suggestions. If you see the 3rd chart, it has squeezed while udjusting the 2nd chart.

The scroller option exists for some dashlets - but not for the graph dashelt. If you are having issues, I'd suggest taking out the legend or adding other tabs for graphs.

In terms of resizing, if you added a dashlet horizontally to your current dashboard, you will be able to resize the x and y axis.

If you have one dashlet - no resizing is available. If you have a dashlet added side by side vertically, you can only resize on the x axis. If you have a dashlet added side by side horizontally, you can only resize on the y axis. If you add both vertically and horizontally, you can do both.

It will always try to fit the screen - hence the limitations.

Hi Saanjeith,

Thanks for your reply. Can you help me on how can i create a dashboard like below , which is a default system monitoring dashboard where at the left side it displays the list of hosts monitored and up on selection of host left side the status of host is displayed on right side dashlet and also a dropdown(in blue highlighted with host tiles) facility on displaying this data in different types of dashboards. If you could share me the dynatrace documentation on steps to create such dashboards will help.

Unfortunately, this cannot be created - as this is a custom OOTB dashboard. Out of curiosity, what version of Dynatrace are you using?

Looking to your original ask - You might want to leverage some Web Dashboards if you are DT 6.2+(6.1 has web dashboards but 6.2+ really has the great tiles within it) to create some intuitive, shareable dashboards.

If not the case, I'll try and point you in the right direction in terms of dashlets and layouts to use for a monitoring dashboard :).

Hi Saanjeith,

I am using DT 6.2. I do have web dashboard created as shown below. However I cannot drill down in those dashboards. Can you advise me on creating monitoring dashboard on DT client or Web Dashboards and let me know how I can drill down with respect to the data points or to that particular host?

As Saanjeith said before, the exact layout and functionality of the Host Monitoring dashboard cannot be replicated as it is OOTB.

But... If you are satisfied with the layout and information display you show in the web dashboard, then you can definitely replicate that in the DT client. It is a matter of playing around while dragging the dashlets.

Couple tips:

• While dragging a dashlet, drag it very close to the edge of the dashboard and instead of splitting it halfways, youll get a smaller split.
  • Use a temporary/auxiliary dashlet to help resize things. I usually use the Text and Image dashlet as it is empty.
  • Like Sanj said, remove the legends as they tend to squish down the graph, use labels instead.

This way you won't lose the drill down functionality and you will have a similar layout

Hi @Alejandro Soto,

When i create a monitoring Dashboard, I could not add the dashlets one below the other as its seen in the image of Moitoring dashboard. All the dashlet that I add get appended one after the other in a row which squeezes the charts/graphs of other dashlets. How do i add the dashlets one below the other one? and how do i re-size the dashlets in all the 4 directions ? I am attaching one of my dashboard with this problem for your reference. dynatrace.gif

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Besides all the great answers already given I wanted to highlight some YouTube Tutorials Videos on Basic and Advanced DAshboarding:

Also one on Web Dashboards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzl1PTGS7Y&index=...

Andi