cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a measure with a threshold that recognizes a URI in the Purepath Tree

dave_deleo
Inactive

I am trying to create a measure with a threshold to be used in an incident for a specific URI that can be found in the purepath tree. However, I am struggling with this.

There is a Business Transaction splitting measure that seems perfect however it does not allow for thresholds to be defined so these types of measures I understand are not used for incidents.

More importantly I've tried to use the Time (Web Requests) and Web Request Response Time which seem best suited for threshold/incidents but have unsuccessful results. That is; Often when I create a chart against that measure to verify it, the chart does show data but when I drill down to web requests I see all kinds of URIs but often not the URI the measure is suppose to be selecting.

What's curious is that when I do try to create the chart there is no agent splitting available when I have created the measure to specifically use specific agents that exist within that system profile. When I open the measure to all agents I do get splittings but still the results in the chart give me all kinds of URI's but often not my URI.

Any guidance I would truly be grateful.

Thanks,

David

5 REPLIES 5

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader
  1. Personally I prefer to use Web Request Response Time as you have noted for instances like this. If you're having trouble with not being able to split on specific agents can you check the details of the measure to make sure it is being created for each agent (screenshot would help as it sounds like you have done this) in addition to providing how you are identifying the lack of splitting (e.g. when adding to a chart etc or after it has been added and changing the splitting...).
  2. For the drill down piece, this is expected as when you create a measure you're just telling the performance warehouse to start storing that measure over time for charting but it doesn't actually do anything that will allow you to filter on that measure or drill into it alone. So when you drill down from a chart you're really just drilling down to every purepath that occurred in the timeframe you were looking at hence the other requests. In order to drill down to specific requests a business transaction is necessary as this actually tags those purepaths as belonging to that business transaction allowing you to drill into them and filter them.

James

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks James! In regards to your second bullet, though the drill down is showing all as there is no filter going on with the measure, is the idea then that the threshold I defined within the measure is applicable to the URI I want so that when I create the incident that URI would be the only one I would get providing it hit the threshold - Is that more the concept that is going on with this?

Yes, any thresholds will only be applied to URL(s) that are included in the measure you define. In the case of incidents it will just be evaluating that one series and the incidents don't really look directly at the PurePaths in that sense. For important URLs consider business transactions as well which provide more detail like failure rate and response time automatically in addition to the ability to baseline them.

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks James! Really appreciate your input. It helped me understand a lot and got me to creating successful incident measures. We have used BT on a regular basis and they're great. My wish list for Business Transactions type measures which have a lot more to them - as the results of those can be drilled down too what your URI in the measure was - is to allow for a threshold to be part of it. But I'm sure if they could pull that off easily without serious overhead they would have a long time ago.

Thanks again James!

David

No problem, happy to help!