cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How can I enable JMX on an Appmon server so I can monitor the dynatrace JVM from an external server?

wade_harris
Inactive

We are trying to monitor our Dynatrace server from another monitoring system. To do this we have to enable JMX with remote server access on the Dynatrace server. On other systems like Aetos/Karaf this is done by adding startup parameters such as -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1099 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port=44444 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true (and others) etc. When this is configured properly, you can connect with jconsole and other monitoring systems.

How do you do this on a Dynatrace server, and will Dynatrace Appmon run properly with JMX enabled for remote access and remote monitoring?

2 REPLIES 2

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Wade,

To enable JMX Monitoring and Management:

1. In the AppMon Client, select Settings > Dynatrace Server to open the Dynatrace Server Settings dialog box, then select Services.
  2. Select the Management tab.
  3. In the JMX Service area, select Monitoring for the Monitoring service, or select both Monitoring and Management for the Management service. You cannot select Management when Monitoring is disabled.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/administration/jmx-management/

Regards,

Babar

wade_harris
Inactive

I tried that before I posted this. Tried it again, and it's not working - can't connect with our monitoring system or with jconsole on port 1099. The document refers only to Appmon specific MBeans. What I'm looking for is gathering Java GC data for the frontend, server and self-monitoring processes from an external monitoring system using JMX.