cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I monitored a jar file process?

If I want to monitor a simple jar process, which file should I do the injection?

Also, during the injection, should I place it at the beginning or end of the file?

Would the one-liner syntax for this simple jar the same as the syntax of those that we add to other typical java process? (for example, the typical tomcat or jboss that we monitor which are well-documented in the AppMon documentation)

We can see that in Dynatrace Managed even a simple jar file would have all the JVM metrics, so we are wondering if we do the same in AppMon.

3 REPLIES 3

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello @Wai Keat C.

If I am not wrong you are talking about the standalone Java process, so yes this is possible to instrument. Let's take the example of tomcat as a windows service from the below link.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

Thanks for the answer, but actually I am monitoring a simple jar file which doesn't belong to Websphere, JBoss, Wildfly, Weblogic, Glassfish, Fujitsu Interstage, nor Tomcat.

It is just a simple jar file, a jar file where it doesn'tinvoke with -Xmx or -Xms parameter. So I can't really tell them "Look for a file where there is the word 'Xmx' or 'Xms', and do the one-liner injection there", I've to tell them the exact file to look for, and its syntax.

hegz
Contributor

Hi Wai C

I have tried monitoring a simple jar file on Windows before,I just add the agent path parameters when i start the jar file,it works.I think you may try it when you start the jar file.

BR

Guangzhi