cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do host agents get assigned to a profile?

aheadington
Inactive

I have 4 host agents in a group that are monitoring a process. In the agent overview it says they are mapped to the Infrastructure profile. I have created an incident through the Infrastructure section of the Server Settings screen. When I test the incident by shutting down the process an incident is created in a particular profile on the Incident Dashboard. My question is how does this incident get assigned to this particular profile?

4 REPLIES 4

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The infrastructure profile isn't like a standard profile - it's for "global" infrastructure where all OS level health metrics can be gathered together. It is just where host agents will map by default if you don't name them and have an agent group in an existing system profile created. You can name them and map them to a system profile like any other agent though.

The name can be set through a configurtion in the .ini file:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/appli...

Also - FYI in the future these posts belong in the "AppMon and UEM" forum.

James

aheadington
Inactive

Thanks for the reply. I follow everything you said. The thing is the names I've given the hosts in the ini file are not mapped to a system profile. Their incidents simply show up in a profile. Are you able to explain this behavior?

aheadington
Inactive

UPDATE: It appears in our case that the host agent was automagically put into a system profile based on other agents running on the server. We created a new agent group under a profile and assigned the host agents to that group to ensure all the hosts were reporting to the same profile.

Is there a particular reason you have a host agent running on a server that has other agents? The application agents (Java/.NET) give you that same host health data. There's only a few features that the host agent has the app agents don't (pattern matching for process availability alerts is the one I like).