cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How do you monitor a MQ queue status?

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

We are currently using the MQ plugin to monitor our queues and queue managers. I have tried to set an alert to monitor if the queue manager is running. When I run the monitor, with the queue manager down, the plugin fails as MQ returns an error of 2059 (which is expected since the queue manager is down). I would like to know when the queue manager is stopped.

Dynatrace Certified Professional
7 REPLIES 7

asad_ali
Advisor

Bill

Currently the monitor plugin puts the error number in the status metrics. In this case, the status value of the QM would be 2059. You can set the threshold of this metric to be 2059 and trigger an incident when the status of the QM is 2059.

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

Makes sense, however in this case, the monitor failed. I believe I set the threshold to both 2009 and 2059 and the monitor still failed.

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

This suggestion didn't work. I tested this again and the monitor fails with the stacktrace from MQ being the only output.

Bill, what is the value of the status field?

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

Queue
Manager Status
possible values and meaning:

n/a = -1

Stopped =

Starting
= 1

Running =

Quiescing
= 3

Stopping
= 4

Standby=5

So, currently our queue managers are running, with the status being "2". If the queue manager is stopped (status "0"), then a stacktrace ensues, error 2009 and then 2059 is outputted, and the monitor fails. I'd expect to see a status of 0 and an email alert.

Bill

Let me make change to the plugin so that it shows correct status. Stay tuned.

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

Thanks! 🙂 I will wait patiently.