cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How does dynaTrace determine the capacity of the network interface?

bili
Participant

dynaTrace is deployed on RedHat Enterprise Linux.

Sometimes dynaTrace reports "Host Network Unhealthy" incident.
According to the following documents, it will report "Host Network Unhealthy" incident if the

Network Rate In or Out ratio exceeds 90%.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT61/Host+Health+Monitoring

But all other monitoring applications do not find anything wrong with the network utilization issue.

So I would like to know how does dynaTrace determine the capacity of the network interface and understand why does it only report the network utilization issue from dynaTrace.

4 REPLIES 4

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi

I think the answer is in that doc page. We query current throughput and total bandwidth available through the OS Native Libraries -> basically what you can also get if you open up your linux monitoring tools. If the Network Utilization (bytes sent&received) reaches 90% of the total theoretical capacity of that NIC we raise that Incident

I hope this helps

Andi

bili
Participant

Hi Andi,

Thank you very much for your reply! What you have explained does help a lot.

As for my customer's original issue, I checked the /var/log/sa/sar* files and confirmed the network traffic was very high when the dynaTrace incident was reported. So dynaTrace did the correct thing.

Best regards,
Brent

Great to hear that my explanation helped and that dynatrace was correct 🙂

yigu
Inactive
@Andreas G.

Hello Andi, sorry do dig up an old thread, however I'm kind of having a similar question. If there is a link aggregation on Solaris system. How would dynatrace recognize the capacity of network interface? It would be very helpful to know which parameter is dynatrace looking at. Many thanks, Yifu