cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to analyse the slow first party content

anantharaman_m
Participant

Hi,

How to analyse the slow first party content which is running from the application domain, I can see through user action purepaths, there are 32 resources which are slow in the first party content and the total execution time and elapsed time are more, please let me know how we can analyse these resources which are taking more time and more importantly finding what are those resources? for 3rd party content we normally wont have the DT agents to get the breakdown, whether for the application level slow first party content we can get the breakdown data in terms of the resources and the execution time? Please clarify.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

anantharaman_m
Participant

Experts, any update on this? any response on this is highly appreciated!

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Note that it sounds like you're actually using the AppMon product as opposed to Dynatrace so in the future that would be the appropriate forum.

I can't add much that would be helpful. If I understand correctly you're looking for more data on slow first party calls but really you won't be able to get any further details on these unless an agent is placed where that content is served from or something like that. The only difference between slow third party content and slow first party content is AppMon recognizes that the domain matches what is seen with the agents as far as I know. So even though it is marked as first party content this won't provide you any additional detail, all that we see is the request going out from the browser.

To get any code level or server side visibility an agent is required.

James

anantharaman_m
Participant

Thanks James, when you say an agent is required, could you please eloborate on that? what type of agent should be configured to analyse the slow first party content which again are application specific contents. I can understand for 3rd party content which are external, hence agent is needed, but for first party application specific content/libraries what is the agent that should be configured? please clarify. Thanks in advance.

Wherever that first party content is being served from will need to have an agent in order for you to see what is happening server side. As far as AppMon is concerned it is the same as 3rd party content and can be considered "external" to AppMon since we just see a call going out for a resource, page, etc... and coming back. There needs to be an agent there to know what is going on server side. With and agent PurePaths should be created for those calls that you can dig into.

What type of agent would depend on what technology is being used on the server that is returning that content, I imagine it would be a web server or java agent.

James

anantharaman_m
Participant

Thanks James, these first party content are mostly javasscript, css, URLs served from Web server and application server. The application is a Java application, in that case what agent we need to configure to get more details on those resources? is there any tutorial to check how we can configure the agent to dig deep into the slow contents?

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Once you have PurePaths for those calls the process should be the same as for any other PurePaths, you'll be able to see the entire tree of calls starting from when the request comes in to any method calls, db calls, etc... that occurs in the backend.

Here is a simple walkthrough that may help (you don't need to actually install the demo to see the flow):

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/appli...

There are also a number of webinars and tutorials at the university:

https://university.dynatrace.com/education/appmon/...

In general you'll want to find your slow calls, then look at some of the method or response time hotspots dashlets, and from there look at individual PurePaths as well to see where time is being spent.

James

anantharaman_m
Participant

Thanks James. I am clear about the Purepaths and analysis of the issue once the agent is created. My question is how to create an agent for the above scenario considering we are getting the resources as CSS, JS, URLs , etc. Is there any tutorial which talks about creating an agent to analyse the issue in depth. If so, please send those links. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what you mean by creating an agent, you noted that the content is served from web servers and application servers so you would install a web server agent or a Java (I imagine) agent as appropriate.

Hi Anantha R.

Are you able to identify those resources?

hi Anantha ,

Are you able to find those calls?