cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to capture empty useraction in AppMon UEM and Dynatrace UEM?

wei_ding
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Dear,

Is there any way to capture those empty user actions, which don't send out any web requests in AppMon UEM and Dynatrace UEM? If there is, please let me know how to configure it.

Thanks

Wei

5 REPLIES 5

david_n
Inactive

Hello Wei,

Dynatrace automatically captures the majority of your user traffic when you enable UEM and inject the Javascript agent. If you have a specific technology like ajax there are flags that can be turned on in the UEM settings in your system profile to allow for additional monitoring.

If these flags do not provide the visibilty that you desire, you will have to use the Javascript ADK to define custom user actions in your application. Here is information on the ADK: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/integrations-and-extensions/development-kits/javascript-adk-and-javascript-ajax-adk/

Hope that helps,

David Nicholls

wei_ding
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I think it's NO to my question, isn't it?

BR

Hey Wei!

Good to hear from you again. I think David's comment above is correct
If a user action generates an web request / ajax call then it will be captured as a user action.
If no ajax call is generated, the js Agent will not pick it up automatically.

You have to use the Javascript ADK to manually create user actions if no ajax call / web request is sent.

Regards,

Henry

wei_ding
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi Henry,

It's really nice to hear from you. Yep, no web request, no user action. The point is that the customer wants to capture all user's actions on a web page, including check or uncheck a checkbox, which doesn't trigger any web request, their purpose is to do user behavior analysis with AppMon UEM as data source and want to capture as many user actions as possible.

henry_apletree
Inactive

I think Wei your customer will need to use the JavaScript ADK to manually tag actions.

If you want to capture a checkbox being checked, or unchecked, see the "reportEvent(msg)" and Starting Custom Events in the ADK: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/integ...

An extract:

Starting custom actions

The JavaScript ADK includes functions to start and stop custom user actions.

• dynaTrace.enterAction(name,type,startTime,parentAction) starts a new action. If no parentAction is provided, a new root action is started. The function returns the name of the new action. This name can differ from the name given as a parameter, when multiple actions with the same name happen.
  • dynaTrace.leaveAction(actionName) stops the action with the specified name.

Example: Start and Stop an Action Within a Page (/actions/simpleaction.html)

This example provides a button that starts and stops a simple action in an onclick handler. The User Action is shown in the following figure.

onclick Handler User Action

Good luck with your Customer!
Regards,
Henry