cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to chart GC Suspension Time (and other time details) within a response time chart ?

a_demol
Participant

How to chart GC Suspension Time (and other time details) within a response time chart :

I have created some measures to get response times of EJB methods (not yet business transactions). The result for one specific method could be drawn in the following screenshot. This chart could display specific aggregation choice (average, percentile, maximum, ...).

Is that possible to visualize, in this chart or by exporting data, the time detail for each bar, especially the Runtime Suspension Time (because of GC) ?

The use case is to follow the behaviour of a response time (percentile95 or maximum) of a local EJB method in function of GC.

Thanks a lot,

Arnaud

7 REPLIES 7

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Arnaud

You can create a Dual Axis Chart in the Dynatrace AppMon Client and put your Response Time on one Y-Axis and the GC MEasures on the other Axis. That would be an option. Have you tried that?

If you want to learn a bit more about dashboarding options check out my Dashboarding Tutorials on YouTube: http://bit.ly/dttutorials

Andi

a_demol
Participant

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your answer. I indeed have another chart with GC suspension time in my dashboard (just below the chart I gave in example). It allows to start a minimum of correlation. However, the GC measures are global in a JVM (and usefull, yes).

My need is to get the part of GC suspension time in the specific method displayed in my graph.

Arnaud

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

If you want it for specific methods you can create "Exec Suspension Time" Measures for your methods. You can also create an "Exec Time w/o Suspension" for the same method. Then use an Area Chart (not stacked) to chart both measures. this is a nice way to see the impact of suspension time on a certain method

Andi

a_demol
Participant

Thank's Andreas, quite simply. It seems good (just disappointed not to find that myself...) and it works.

My dashlet displays now the part of suspension time in the same chart.

dont be disappointed. be happy that you now have what you wanted 🙂

As a favor in return - feel free to post some additonal screenshots of your dashboards. Everyone is appreciating new ideas of dashboards and what type of information to chart

Andi

a_demol
Participant

Hi Andreas,

Yes of course 🙂

So an example of my specific (dual-axis) dashboard, in a 1min resolution:

- right axis (bar mode, in grey): number of my significant method

- left axis (line chart): maximum response time (orange), average response time (green), percentil95 response time (black), and the suspension time for this method (average in blue)

--> if there was a possibility to chart the suspension time in a third y-axis (with the same scale than the current left axis) with a bar, we could see better when there is a suspension time like that:

Thanks,

Arnaud

THANKS for sharing. I might use this on thursday for my next performance clinic 🙂