cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to check/drill down for the cause of application's process high load in Dynatrace?

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi,

In one of the monitored applications, processes were found high at 70-75% and later normalized . Now am asked to tell what was the cause of that in the application but i do not know how to drill down to that problem! Kindly help

processes.jpg

Br,

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi,

Any help?

Br,

Chris

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chris,

As you can see from the screenshot posted, the CPU is generated by a monitored process. Find out which one is it (from Host Health dashboard) then drill down into it (Process Health dashboard). See if anything points out -> increased transactions? garbage collection?

If not, try opening the Response Time Hotspots dashlet, add a timeframe filter for the time period when your CPU spiked, change the grouping to agent instead of agent tier -> can you see the agent responsible for the spiking process? -> click on the bar to drilldown to Method Hotspots (it will be auto-sorted by CPU Sum), identify the top methods responsible -> can you associate these with a certain transaction?

It's a bit of a vague question, but I think this is a good start.

Regards,

Radu

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the quick response and support. Kindly help with snapshots so that i can clearly get to the right positon. Below are the snapshots to which i can drill down to it

process1.jpg

process2.jpg

process3.jpg

Br,

Chris

Chris, no need for CPU Sampling.
From main menu on your left, expand Performance Analysis, then Response Time Hotspots, change timeframe to 19.11.2017 16:00 - 20.11.2017 20:00 change grouping (button in top right corner from Agent Group to Agent) -> is there a bar on the chart on the left labelled "_Concierge_Portal_243Admin[MS3_ugpttcoapp13]" ? If yes, click on that bar. It will drill down and open Method Hotspots for you. Here, look at the top methods listed, see if you can assign them to a specific transaction (use the tree view at the bottom of the screen to navigate through methods/services which call this method).
Hope this is a bit more clear.

christopher_teb
Organizer

Thanks Radu,

let me share the snapshots to verify.

process11.jpg

process22.jpg

process33.jpg

Br,

Chris