cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check for Java classes that are excluded for transformation?

Enrico_F
Pro

Hi all,

We are currently forced to set the collector debug flag com.dynatrace.diagnostics.core.instrumentation.enableJava8Transformations=false due to a bug (support is aware).

Is there a way to check which classes are being skipped/excluded due to this?

AFAIK there are *.blk files in the collector/cache folder which carry that information but they are in a binary format.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

KR,
Enrico

6 REPLIES 6

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Did you check the agent log to see if it's logging out the excluded classes?

Yep - it's not. Should it?

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Sorry, I should have asked you to check the Collector log, not the agent log. The Collector is the one doing the transformation and knows about the rule to exclude the java8 classes. If the collector log does not have any such log messages, then you could increase the logging level on the collector. This can be done by editing Collector.config.xml and changing the 'console' parameter in the <loggingconfig> section. Valid values are finest | finer | fine | config | info | warning | severe | none

where WARNING is the default.

Try: INFO to avoid being overly spammed, but if that doesnt' work, use FINE. But you will fill up your log files quickly, it's quite verbose.

Thanks!

Currently there are messages with level WARNING and INFO in the log, therefore I assume we have at least INFO enabled already.

Do you have any more detailed information as to what kind of message pattern I should be looking out for?

For instance I see tons of lines like

2017-06-08 15:24:17 WARNING [LoadedClasses] Could not find MetaClass for <classname>
2017-06-08 15:24:19 WARNING [ClassCache] <some.other.classname>

I'm not sure what these actually mean and (if we should be worried or not)...

Enrico,

you should look for messages starting with "Unable to transform class" on loglevel FINE.

also the blacklisting is working independently from the Java 8 transformations, so the content of the .blk files won't help you very much.

however, please also see Klaus' comment on your support ticket as I think that this is more likely the root cause.

about the warnings you see in the log file: this could indicate a corrupt classcache, which could lead to <unknown> nodes in the PurePath. however, you should rather double-check with support if this is a problem in your case.

Christian

florian_ortner
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Maybe this one helps: https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/89712/class-and-methods-in-purepath-shown-as-unknown.html