cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to configure iOS symbolication

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The ProGuard libraries are set, the Symbolication Service is running, but there's still some confusion as to how to use the new Symbolication service capability and what exactly is responsible for talking to the REST interface.

The iOS Plugin allows for defining the IP:Port of the symbolication service that's running in the dTServer, which makes me think the mobile agent running in the handset will be communicating directly with the dynaTrace Server. Is this true?

Is there a need for any other files to be loaded up into the symbolication service? Some diagrams show some files being loaded up via the REST interface from the build process. But what are these files?

Once the proper files are loaded into the REST interface, and some crashes come in from handheld devices, where is this enriched crash data observed? Will this just show up in the Details screen of a given crash?

7 REPLIES 7

prashanth_karre
Newcomer

Sorry i don't have the answer right now but i am in the same situation and working on a Support ticket.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Prashanth, This was an old question from last spring when the Symbolication capability was first released. Since then it's become a bit clearer. However the Xcode integration has changed since then and the old Xcode plugin no longer works, a new Cocoapod is now available to perform the XCode integration. https://cocoapods.org/pods/Dynatrace

Detailed doc is being developed now.

Hey Joseph,

Any idea on when the detailed CocoaPods doc will be completed? We are currently working to instrument an iOS app using CocoaPods but would like more information on where to place the keys.

Thanks!

Symbolication service is not yet integrated into theDynatrace cocoapod so for now cocoapods are a convenient replacement of the Xcode plugin for integrating the mobile agent. We are currently evaluating on how to proceed with symbol file upload integration as bitcode will be mandatory for new Apps in the near future and currently dSYm files for bitocde enabled Apps can only be manually downloaded via iTunesConnect as they are generated by Apple.

Thanks for the quick follow-up Patrick! I'll keep an eye out for future releases as well as follow the iOS auto-instrumentation documentation for any updates.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

I've pinged the guy developing the doc, I"ll let you know when I hear something.

cocoapod documentation should be finished in January - but there is no cocoapod + symbolication service integration available as it was with the Xcode plugin