cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to configure incident rules for application error

cheeyean_lee
Participant

incident-rule.png

pure-path-error.png

I'm try to configure the incident rules for 1 of my windows service to alert me in email whenever there is any error in the application.

I have attached my configuration where I have set my threholds to 1 to test if Dynatrace able to trigger email to me, but it doesn't trigger email when I have database connection issue.

Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chee,

In AppMon, we have the following PurePath classifications (as indicated by the coloured bullet point):

• green - PurePath (transaction) completed successfully without errors
  • yellow - PurePath (transaction) completed successfully but errors were present
  • red - PurePath (transaction) failed to complete

When you're tracking the "Failed transaction count" of something, you're only looking at those PurePaths in red which have failed to complete. From what I see in your screenshot, the PurePath you're showing has executed despite the failure to acquire a connection to the database for that specific method, hence your failed transaction count is still 0.

A more accurate count of errors is given by the measure "Exceptions - count", but this is tricky when used in the context of an incident as it can give a lot of false positives. You can always create your own measures for tracking specific errors, and that can give a better understanding if something important is happening within your PurePaths.

Hope this helps,

Radu

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Also, I just noticed, you've set all your thresholds of the measure to 1. That means if there's more than 1 failure, it will trigger; if it's less than 1 failure, it will also trigger. You might want to remove the lower 2 threshold levels.