cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a business transaction to capture purepaths of the visits in which more than two user actions cross 5 s response time?

ravneet_gill
Guide

12 REPLIES 12

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

How you would do this is by creating a Visit based BT and include a filter measure that is user action response time configured to be for actions taking over 5 seconds, with an upper severe threshold of 2. That would evaluate visits and only include those with two user actions taking over 5 seconds. Unfortunately there is no such measure - the user action count one doesn't let you specify a response time threshold and the action response time one doesn't let you specify a count threshold so I can't think of a way to directly get this atm. Perhaps others have some ideas.

I would try to find another situation that would be possible to create a BT for that would given you some similar information such as looking for visits with more than one user action and an average response time greater than 5s.

James

consider a situation in which a visit ended up having 20 user actions but there was just 1 user action which had response time of more than 5s, it will list that as well using AND operation...

I tried using violation count for response time as the base measure for user action but that doesn't seem to work, ideally it should... what you say on this approach?

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I would look at using the same measure for the filter as a results measure with an aggregation of count. Then you could drill down into BTs that have a count >=2. I have not tried this out, but it seems like it would work...

Can you please explain which measure should I use as a result measure? and if I need to put anything as a filter?

My thought initially was that you could use the "filter measure that is user action response time configured to be for actions taking over 5 seconds" as you mentioned, and also use the same measure for the results measure, but use aggregation count for the results measure, which should give a count of the number of user actions that exceeded 5 seconds in the visit.

But I no longer thing it will work because you would need a split by Visit to get the count for each Visit...

correct. But I am assuming this is similar to the way dynatrace lists frustrated users. I am thinking of the measures it uses in the background to do that.

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I thought the violation measure would count any violations across all visits, so it would not be per visit...

Hm, pretty sure this should work in a BT, a short check with a session seemed fine but will test again if it behaves as expected.

You are right, it seems that all violations get evaluated, so all visits land in the BT, so this won't work 😕

ravneet_gill
Guide

This is exactly what I did before but it's not providing any results to me...

ravneet_gill
Guide

what aggregation you have used for BT?