cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to create alert based on business transaction count

bobby_crumley
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hello -

I'm trying to alert if a Business Transaction count value goes too high. I have the business transaction calculating by Total Time for a transation, aggregate on max, and filtered by >6000ms. This happens rarely so for testing I'm using 500ms which gives the high number. I'd like to create an alert based on the count value in the attached image, but you can only alert based on measures or monitors. I can't use a BT Row Count monitor because there isn't anything unique to split on. Any suggestions how to extract this count value?

bt-capturecount.png

5 REPLIES 5

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

What you can do is create a BT and use the Response Time Measure of that BT as your Condition Measure. In the "Aggregation" Column of the Condition Definition you select "Count". That will now validate the number of PurePaths that come in during your Evaluation Timeframe. The Count will also be evaluated against the threshold you specify on that Response time Measure

Andi

When I use the Response Time Measure of the BT as my incident condition, the alert displays the time unit and my client would like to be able to change this to a count unit. Is there a way to accomplish this in AppMon? Example: "Was 5.00 ms but
should be lower than 5.00 ms" change to "Was 5.00 num but should be lower than 5.00 num"

Lawrence

bobby_crumley
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Andi

Thank you, I thought completely forgot about this aggregation and tried to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Bob Crumley

haha 🙂 - no worries. Feels that sometimes we burry our features really deep so that nobody finds them. cheers

lawrence_cuneaz
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

This information is great to confirm that functionality. My client has a BT that has a response time filter and a parameter value splitting. If I setup the incident based on the count of the business transaction will each splitting be counted individually (Count column for BT chart) or will anything that matches the split be counted?

Example
Split Result Data
2 red, 3 green

Should the incident trigger if I set the count to >= 5? If so, how can I setup the incident to trigger based on counting each splitting and display the split value that the incident triggered on?

Regards,

Lawrence