cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decrease the purepath size?

vishwajit_inamd
Participant

Hi Team,

what are different ways available in Appmon to reduce the purepath size. Also how to reduce number of SQL calls and unncessary method calls? I already set "enabled aggregation" mode in JDBC sensor properties. Max SQL command capture length is 512.

3 REPLIES 3

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Similar to the changes you have made, there is also the "Maximum string capture length" field in the agent group sensor configuration screen. This applies to every string captured by the agents though so keep that in mind.

But in regards to decreasing the actual "size" of the PurePath (i.e. the number of nodes or steps in the tree) the only way to decrease that is to change the sensor configurations by doing things such as disabling sensor packs. For instance if your PurePaths have a large number of RMI calls but you're not especially interested in those you can disable the RMI sensor pack. I'd review your large PurePaths and see if there are any areas that stand out as having a large number of nodes but that don't yield much value and consider changing that if you need to. As always after changing sensor configurations an application restart or hot sensor placement in Java is necessary to put them into effect.

James

trevor_masseng1
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Vishwajeet,

A quick way to get rid of unwanted methods that show up in PurePaths can be seen below:

I'm not sure what the goal is of reducing the size of your PurePaths is, but if it's for organization or simplicity, you may want to consider starting a PurePath off of a particular method:

HTH,

Trevor

Thanks James and Trevor for your reply. I am currently facing issue where purepath buffer memory gets exhausted and DT servers stops capturing purepaths.I am suspecting purepath size could be the culprit here.I have attched "purepath_size.png" and buffer size snaps of the same time when issue occured.Here getprocessSocket() method gets invoked 7000+ times.I want to restrict these invocations. However I want this method to be sensed.purepath-size.png

buffersize.jpg