cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable DB call tracing in a .Net process?

vishal_bishnoi
Newcomer

I am using trial version. I have installed Agent in a laptop with Windows 10 OS in it. I can see this laptop as a host in the web interface (Dashboard) of DynaTrace. In the web UI (of Dynatrace), I can even see processes which are running in this laptop.

I have enabled monitoring on one .Net process which is a simple Winform application which fire some SQL queries to a remote SQL DB. When I say remote, I mean SQL server is in the same network but on a different machine.

When I make DB call from this .Net process (application), I can see that the call is successful. But in Dynatrace web UI, I can't see this .net process making any DB calls. I can see metrics related to this process like CPU, memory but outbound process is showing as 0. Even there is nothing listed under Databases section.

Do I have to enable something, somewhere so that Dynatrace Agent start monitoring outbound DB calls from this .net process?

6 REPLIES 6

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Vishal,

Try with the following:

• Enable the .NET Remoting sensor pack from the sensor placement of the agents group
  • Active and start PurePaths for the ADO.NET sensor pack from the sensor configuration of the agents group

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar. Thanks for your reply. I am quite new to this tool. Could you please tell me where I can find "agent group"? Is it in the web UI or I have to run some desktop application?

Hello Vishal,

The Sensor Placement item in an Agent Group from the System Profile Preferences dialog box allows you to inject sensors and configure placement rules.

Follow the instructions from the below link.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/administration/system-profile/edit-a-system-profile/agent-group-sensor-placement/

To access the Sensor properties dialog box, open the System Profile Preferences dialog box and select Agent group > Sensor configuration.

Follow the instructions from the below link.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/administration/sensor-configuration/sensor-properties/

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I think, because I am using a trial license, Dynatrace website just allow me to download Agent installer. And this installer does not comes with anything which you have mentioned in your answer. Basically I can only see oneagentloganalytics, oneagentnetwork,oneagentos,oneagentplugin and oneagentwatchdog processes running.

Even if I go in the folder where Dynatrace is installed, I can't see any other exe there.

Seems like Dynatrace demo does not give access to everything.

Hello @Vishal K.

Oops ! So you have Dynatrace not the AppMon but you choose the forum AppMon, therefore, I provided the information according to the platform.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

Sorry for the confusion mate. As I said earlier, I just started exploring this tool and went by the documentation which is "Just install the agent and start monitoring". Too easy 🙂

Will find out more about Appmon and how to install it (I seriously doubt that it will part of demo though).