cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force the PurePath to start new PurePath(s)?

charley_li
Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to monitor a program which would execute over 1hr and have more than 10,000 PurePath nodes. (In fact, the program be estimated as 4 hrs or more execution time.)

However, a single PurePath has the limit so that I can't full capture the PurePath.

I've tried to add entry point by setting sensor configuration as "active and start PurePaths", but according to documentation, it will "start a new PurePath if not yet started".

Therefore, I still can't full monitor this program.

May I have any way to force the purepath to start one or more new PurePath(s) by some rules?
Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

This is a common challenge. The only way I know to solve it is to start PurePaths at a lower point in the call stack. For example, not starting at the main method, but at a "processRequest" or "doNext" type of method.

Also, note we generally do not get much value from monitoring long running batch processes. Our best value is from monitoring user-initiated transactions where a real user is impacted if the transaction fails or takes too long.

Thanks for your help! It's helpful.

charley_li
Contributor

Hello,

I have a new problem which is relate the topic.

I need to split a PurePath to two smaller PurePaths.

However, the PurePath is start at "doFilter" which auto sensor set as default.

I still need the auto sensor settings so that I can't adjust it

Do I have any other way to deal with this problem?

Thanks for your reply!

This comes up from time to time. There is no way to "stop" one PurePath and start a new one. A sensor can either start a PP if none exists or append to one. Removing our header to purposely break the PP is an option, but unlikely it would be easy to accomplish.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply!

I'll keep trying. Thanks.