I believe that UEM volume is added 🙂
Check 'Capturing' settings from the 'User Experience'
Check the Sensors Configuration for the 'User Experience' sensor pack available / active.
Yeah, the capturing to set and the sensor is active
I did notice that the Agent location had a value that was not just "/" as shown in your picture. I changed it and will see what happens, but I believe the agent may not be in the root... so I'll have to ask an admin to go find it.
Here are the general troubleshooting steps I take when UEM is not working
1. Use the UEM Health Check via Start Center/Monitoring tab
2. View page source to be sure the "dtagent" JS is injected.
3. Make sure the "dtagent" JS is downloading (in a decent view page source you can just click on the script to see, not so in IE of course)
4. Try sending the dynaTraceMonitor signal and see what response you get. It will be something like FL (WebServer) or FL (Java) if the signal is reaching the agent.
5. If all that works, use Dev Tools or Fiddler to watch the traffic and see if the JS download is getting a 200 and the dynaTraceMonitor is getting a 200.
If all this fails, search the community for "UEM Troubleshooting"
The Agent URL is not reachable. The may be due to one of the following:
I had to go into the developer tools in Chrome and look at the page to see where the team had put the application. Once I saw the directory, I updated the profile and it started working.