cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to get the correct timestamp in logs of appmon 7.1

Jacob_Mitrany
Newcomer

Hi,

I installed apmon 7.1 on same windows 2012 server as appmon 7.0 was installed.
The time stamp of the loges of the server and collector and agents in appmon 7.0 were the correct.
At appmon7.1 all the logs have different time stamp that make difficult to synchronize them to correct time.

The clock in the window machine is UTC+2 and we are in DST.

No change in the clock was done in the migration to 7.1.

Log of 7.0: 2018-05-16 08:58:06 INFO [Server] Dynatrace Server Copyright (C) 2004-2017 Dynatrace (this is the real time)

Log of 7.1: 2018-05-16 07:19:51 UTC INFO [Server] Dynatrace Server Copyright (C) 2004-2018 Dynatrace (real time is 10:17 - 3 hours diffrence)

Do you have any suggestion how to change the time logs time in appmon 7.1 as it was in 7.0 ?

Thanks & Regards

Jaki

6 REPLIES 6

seye
Newcomer

I have the same issue. We upgraded from v6.2 to v7.1 last week and now all the server and collector logs are in UTC rather than Eastern time. The machines the DT application runs on are set to Eastern - New York. Still waiting on DT support to answer my question for four days now,

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi Stephen,

Curious if you have got an answer from support on this issue?

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Jacob_Mitrany
Newcomer

I opened a support ticket and got the following answer:
This was intentional change, and there are no plans to move that back to previous state.

In general we use the logging for internal purpose / debug etc. Based on that, our focus is to make it as easy to correlate logs across all tiers and time zones and using the same time zone does help there significantly. OneAgents (or to be in line with product wording, AppMon Agents) used UTC logging since day 1, so this was a driving factor in this decision.

When I requested a flag that will give me the look of the old timestamp the support gave me:
com.dynatrace.diagnostics.logging.useLocalTimestampFormat=true

The support also wrote:

Although in the long run, it might be that this will make debugging of problems a little bit longer (just in case when someone will not discover non-default settings of time).

I added to all the components of appmon and I got the timestamp as before.

Jaki

Thanks for the update!

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

seye
Newcomer

Yes. Support says it is designed this way now and there is no way to change back to use the local time zone. I really didn't like the answer; however, have been too busy to follow up with them yet.

Saravanakumar_P
Participant

This works, you can change the timezone to local time
for the Collectors and AppMon Server.

You can switch back the AppMon Server or Collector logging using the below flag,

com.dynatrace.diagnostics.logging.useLocalTimestampFormat=true

Simply place the flag using the below links (in the AppMon Client, Debug mode).

How to place Collector Flags

How to place Server Flags

Each component will require a restart for the change to take effect.

Unfortunately, we are not able to change the timezone to local time on the agent-side.

Those remains in UTC...

It seems like there is a code change that was made in the 7.1 branch line. As we are trying to find out a way to get the local timezone in Agent logs, please let me know if anyone finds an answer for that.