cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to monitor a weblogic start up node?

Hey All!

I would like to know if there is a way on monitor the startup of a node or JVM on weblogic. Usually, we just add the "hook" command and that's it. However, my understanding is that we will start receiving data once the node is UP and working. In this particular case, I need to monitor the startup of the node, the loading of classes, exceptions that throws, etc.

How will be the approach here? is this even possible?

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I am not familiar with what all happens when weblogic starts - BUT - if you are interested in certain code executions that happen during startup you could define some custom entry point sensors so that dynatrace will pick up PurePaths of "initialization" code transactions. Custom Entry Points Sensors are method sensors with the difference that they also start a PurePath. They are typically used for batch job apps or for non-web apps. In your case they coudl also be useful. if you can figure out which code executions you are interested in you can define an entry point sensor for the initialization methods of weblogic - then dynatrace will capture the code execution

in general Dynatrace will start monitoring the performance of your node once the agent is loaded into the JVM - and that happens right at the start. So - you automatically get key metrics such as CPU, MEmory, or even Number of loaded classes. You can chart these measures once the Node starts up

Andi

Hey Andi

In short, instrument the part of code that we want. In my case, I want to capture some exceptions that may happens when the node is starting up. So, Dynatrace will be able to capture even from the startup of the node? I always thought that will report only when the node was completely up.

I will give a shot. I let you know if worked.

Regards