cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How to set up a Storage Quota

sadasiva_orugan
Contributor

Hi There,

I would like to performa Thread dump and as well to record a purepath. When I try to perform that activity DT6.0 client throwed a message saying not enough disk space. I have checked collector's Disck space where I ahve installed and it has ~ 65 GB of the space.

I thought the issue could be with the DT6.0 client server but when I checked for the available space it is ~ 20 GB. When I looked at the DT6.0 client under Dynatrace server settings --> Storage --> It shows "Currently available disk space is 0GB" .

How should I setup a space to save all my recorded sessions and to perform memory/thread dump analysis.

Regards,

Sadasiva

10 REPLIES 10

sadasiva_orugan
Contributor

graeme_william1
Inactive

Sadasiva,

By default, the Dynatrace Server stores session files and dumps in a sub-directory of its installation directory.  For example, if you have installed the Dynatrace Server in /opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.0.0, the default location for the session files will be /opt/dynatrace/dynatrace-6.0.0/server/sessions/stored.

It looks from the screenshot that you have no disk space available on the system running the Dynatrace Server, so no space is available to Dynatrace to store session files and  dumps.

You could reconfigure session storage to point to some other directory – you can put the full path in the dialog box:  /somewhere/dynatrace/sessions/stored – but you should also allocate more space to the Dynatrace Server.  Otherwise, it's going to fail one way or the other – for example just by writing logs.

-- Graeme

Hi Graeme,

The DT6.0 Server where I have installed is having ~65GB of the space.

Regards,Space_Available_DT6.0_Server.PNG

Sadasiva

sadasiva_orugan
Contributor

Do you think I need to change any settings on the DT server side?

Regards,

Sadasiva

graeme_william1
Inactive

Sadasiva,

Are you sure you installed Dynatrace on E: and not on the default drive (C:)?

-- Graeme

yes... Graeme!

I have installed on E:DriveDT_Server_Location.PNG

graeme_william1
Inactive

Sadasiva,

I don't think it's a Dynatrace configuration problem.  The problem is that for some reason the Dynatrace Server can't access the sessions/stored directory.  It could be a file permissions problem.  I might try setting the permissions on the Dynatrace install directory so that "Everyone" has "Full Access" and then restarting the server to see if that changes what the server sees.  (What you're looking for is the "space available" reported by the server – as in your DT_Collector_issues screenshot – to be the same as the free space on the drive.)

On the other hand, do you have any sort of folder size quota defined on your system?

Finally, are there any logs in the log/server directory?  If so, could you post the most recent ones?

-- Graeme

allan_schiebol1
Inactive

I'm thinking this is possibly an issue with the memory settings on the memory analysis server. What do those settings look like in the .ini file?

Hi Alln,

FYI... I din't installed Memory analysis server. I would like to understand is it is mandatory to instll Memory Analysis server to perform the Thread dump/Recording a session etc...

Could you please elaborate on the settings?

Regards,

Sadasiva

It's mandatory in my opinion. If you don't, doing a memory analysis uses the DT server memory to analyze the memory snapshop or thread dump. So, let's say the JVM of your application is 1GB, it will need 1GB of free DT Server memory to analyze that snapshot. This is why the memory analysis server exists so it doesn't use up DT server memory, and let's you analyze big snapshots / thread dumps.