cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

How will the agent handle a situation when collectors in a group are on different versions

Srikar_Mohan2
Helper

Hello,

If we have 2 collectors that are part of a group and they are on different versions then will the agent upgrade and downgrade each time it connects to the different collector? Ex: if the agent was connected to Collector 1 (which is on 6.3) and on restart it connects to Collector 2 (bootstrap will upgrade the agent version to 6.5) then the next restart it connects to Collector 1 (which is on 6.3) then will the agent downgrade its version to 6.3?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Srikar,

You can find the answer of your question from the below link.

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/164101/two...

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar, thank you for the reply. The scenario mentioned in the above link doesnt really apply to my use case because my question is applicable to collector groups and how agent handles downgrade.

Thanks!

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Agents that have an older version should be able to connect to a newer collector with no issue as long as they are the same major version (so 6.2 can connect to 6.5) but newer agents cannot connect to an older collector.

I'm not sure if the agents will change versions when switching to a failover collector because the agents itself isn't being restarted, but if the agent is restarted and it is still connecting to that collector then I imagine it may.

One thing you should note though is that when using collector groups the agents will automatically distribute themselves among all of the connected collectors in that group regardless of which collector they are originally pointed to so really they should all be on the same version to begin with if you are planning on using a collector group.

James

Srikar_Mohan2
Helper

Thanks, I mainly wanted to know if the agent is of version 6.3 (bootstrap version is 6.3) and it connects to a 6.5 collector it gets the latest version however when it goes back to the 6.3 collector will it downgrade its version back to 6.3. I coudlnt find a mention of upgrading all the collectors within a group as a requirement. In case of rolling back an upgrade how do we perform the agent roll back? Do we have to reinstall the 6.3 version?

From what I can find if the agents are bootstrapped they will use whatever version the collector is on when they connect at startup so the agents will downgrade IF they are connected to an older versioned collector at startup. During a failover the agents aren't actually restarted so I do not believe there is anyway for them to downgrade (or upgrade) until they are restarted - I imaging this means there will be connection issues if the newer agents failover to an older collector. I read the documentation and I don't see that as required as well but from my understanding of how it works I do believe it is very important (if not required) for the collectors in a group to all be on the same version if they are in a collector group in order for it to operate effectively.

To roll back an agent you should just need to point it to a collector with the version you want and then restart it (assuming they are bootstrapped). You should only need to reinstall the agent if you also want to change the version of the bootstrap agent.

James